Need advice

Mikeaveli21

Back in the game
Hey everyone,

I just discovered this site a short while ago and am happy to see so many reefers in boston. I've been in Boston for about 10 months and the urge to start another tank has come (I took down a 60 gal in cali before movin here).

The problem is that I can't have a big tank in my apt so I need to start a nano. I am familiar with the difficulty in starting up a nano, but could use some help with the initial set up. I need a system that once stable, will be easy to maintain (i.e. 1 water change a month).

The tank(s) that I am really deciding on is the "Fan Cooled Nano Cube Deluxe Aquarium". There is a 12g and a 24 g.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=10677&N=2004+2020

Simply put, is this a good system to work on? I figure I will use about 1.5 lbs LR per gal for bio filtration in addition to an X amount of calciun carbonate (southdown/yardright) sand. Does this seem like a sufficient start (minus supplements etc...) with this type of tank?

Any comment/advice is appreciated.

Mike

Welcome to the club, I have never done a nano so I have no real advice for you, but figured I would welcome you anyway...

How about a regular glass tank in that size with a small sump? That would give you a lot more cooling ability with all the extra surface area.

My best advice would be to check out www.nano-reef.com

I'm also just starting up a nano, and I'm new to it. There are a bunch of very good articles there, and even more good stuff when reading the posts. (like, there's no other way I'd have thought to use an AquaClear 500 as a refugium if it wasn't for that site :D )

Thanks for the welcome chuck and the advice from the others. I will definitely check out the site and if anyone else has any experience with this matter, please chime in. Thanks again in advance.

hi mike...i have just started a 15g reef with a 10g sump. it was set up as a FOWLR for 3 years and changed to reef about 2 months ago...i have just over 1 lbs of rock/gal. and same with live sand. i have a sump/fuge in the works to replace my sump...same volume, 10g. things have been good in my set up, the only addition still to come will be an auto top off....soon hopefully.
there are some of us here with small, nano tanks...also stevenp has a 20g tank...very nice!!!
keep in touch with progress,
ANDY

i would not do the new 24 gallon jbj they have had quite a problem with cracks. i do have the original 12 gallon and have not had any problems with it.
if you decide to go with the jbj stay with the 12 gallon you will be much happier. good luck and welcome

chris

This isn't a statement, but a question of my own since I've never had a nano. Aren't all nanos high maintenance because of the lower amount of water? I thought they needed more frequent water changes and much more monitoring of params?

I used the 12g JBJ cube for about 9 months. Loved it. For the $100.00 on drfostersmith.com , its worth every penny. I did about a gal water change a week and everything stayed stable. Its a pretty self contained system.

If you want a used one for half the price send me a pm. Dont have the time for both tanks :D

steve in my 12 gallon i do a gallon a week and everything stays stable, of course if over populated you could run into a issue. i also have a 7 gallon on my desk at work and that has been running for about 7 months now and again i do a gallon a week and all is well

chris

steve they are definetly worth it, the big tanks are awesome but the nanos just have something about them that makes it fun to own. my wife was just telling me that they did recall all the 24 gallon jbj nanos so you can only get the 12 gallon now anyways so that makes the decision easier.
good luck
chris

Thanks for all the comments everyone (Andy good luck with your new(er) setup as well). A 1 gal water change a week is not bad at all once everything has stabalized, so that's reassuring.

Chris thanks for the advice on the 24g. My fear was that I would get the 12g and want the 24! (you always want to go bigger). But if its been shown to have leaks, then a 12g will have to do for the time being. Also, every site i searched did only provide the 12g, but jbjnanocube.com (don't think it's associated directly with the jbj manufacturer) site has both, glad I caught wind of this before I had to learn it the hard way.Thanks again all,

Mike

I run a 20 gallon high with AC500 fuge and Remora C and auto top-off. It's been up for about 8 months, no problems. All my parameters are dead stable. Where are you located? You're more than welcome to come check out my nano!

Steve

Steve they did come out with a revised version of the 24g cube. They changed splashguard and corrected the temp issues, but in order to keep anything other than softies and lps you would have to upgrade the lighting.

Last edited:
If your interested in the 24 g, check out nanocustoms.com, the owner has come out with one with 4-36 w bulbs. I have ordered from them before, and never had a problem, great service!

Last edited:
Back