New Basement Sump System

Sherri

Non-member
Looking for ideas on how to configure a new basement sump system. I want to be able to do bigger water changes - the whole system is about 400 gallons and all I've been doing is 30 gallon weekly water changes. The tanks are suffering big time. I have about 5 tanks in the basement so salt creep and floods are a problem.

My current idea is to get 2 to 3 food grade IBC's that are 275 gallons each to use as the sump system for water changing and treatment, and also to have the upstairs tanks drop into. My brain is hurting thinking about how to configure it and what the possible negative consequences might be. What are the watch outs?

Here's a link to IBCs if you're not familiar with them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/275-gallon-...k-Food-Grade-and-Non-Food-Grade-/221286744870

You can get them used once for anywhere from $15 to $165. I think I've located some for $15 to $25.

Having one big tank to drop into and then return from is problematic as the bubbles could travel. These IBC's can be cut in half and frames built to hold them at different heights. At the moment my brain can't even get a picture going so would love some different suggestions.

There will be one tank, probably the return tank, with lots of rock Anemones and fish in it. I also do not want any salt creep but can also hopefully do a design without filter socks although if I have to I can go that route.

Looking forward to your ideas!

Last edited:
You want all 5 tanks to dump into a sump and then 5 separate returns to each tank correct?

My first suggestion is if you are trying to go sock less and you have space I would go for a long sump that you can use as a settling tank. If you are committed to these IBCs I have seen some cool funnel ideas used as settling tanks.

As for helping you design the system, it would help to have a layout of your other 5 tanks. Are they all the same height ? Are they currently tied together or 5 separate tanks?

My system has a dt on the first floor that drains to my basement fuge and FT. They both then drain independently to my sump which then returns back to the dt. My ft and fuge are plumbed separately so that either or both could be taken offline if need be.

I love doing this sort of stuff!

Hi Choff -- the five tanks are what I want to replace - they currently make up the basement sump system. I have 2 upstairs display tanks which are both fed by the same return pump. I would love some help thinking this through. I also want to work a scrubber into the design. But figuring out where everything would go is making my head spin right now. If you love this stuff -- I love and need help!

Really rough draft

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 924
Those are pretty big containers. Can you get it in to your basement? wish I had a door big enough.

Hey Sherri, running around with the kids all day. I'll have a look tonight and see what I can come up with.

...stupid auto correct

I really like those tanks you have, each their own little world, but I am sure it is a lot of work maintaining all those tanks and lots of points of failure to cause flooding.

I am also looking at setting up something in my basement for my 180 gallon DT but more on the line of a simultaneous exchange of water pumping old water out from the inlet side of the sump and adding freshly mixed water to the outlet side at the same rate so I can do a 45 gallon water change without too much effort. it makes my head hurt too thinking about how to make it all work and the pumps and plumbing required but a lot of work upfront should make things easier for years to come.

I will be following to see where you end up Choff has quite the setup going at his house so I am sure he has lots of good advice.

I looked at your other Youtube video and your Display Tanks are gorgeous, I am fairly new only 8 months in and love seeing mature tanks, how long have you had your tanks running?

i used to have a basement sump, the water from the DT coming from upstairs is dropped into a filter sock, which is inside the basement sump....... no micro bubbles in the Dt.

why do you need such large water volume? if you insist, get this 300 gal monster

I actually have been running this system for 5 years. I looked at those videos too and I have lost most of those corals and mushrooms. My tanks are really sad these days. I wanted to cry.

The cause could be that I started feeding black worms and eliminated the microalgae? It could be because I did a stupid thing when I set up the 180. I didn't want circulation pumps because it was an island tank so I put in a 4-way. To do that I had to have pipes running on the bottom of the tank to get the flow right. I had an existing tank that has a huge piece of tonga branch rock that I wanted to put in and it was covered in coral. So I circulated the new system, then put the rock in and here's the bad part -- it is mounted on a piece of 1/2 inch acrylic that I put on top of the sand and pipes. I could have a real nightmare forming underneath that acrylic.

So I'm trying to figure out how to fix it. The only things I have come up with are to take everything out of the 180 and redo it with circulation pumps. Ugh. There are about 15 fish in there. Total nightmare to do that.

I can do multiple water changes a week. Ugh. I can make it so I can do larger water changes -- and yes the IBCs will fit in my basement.

I can add an ATS, or I can get a bunch of microalgae growing again.

I HAVE TO DO SOMETHING BEFORE EVERYTHING DIES!

That sucks. I have the one tank and sometimes the corals really get me overwhelmed. I look at the fish and I can figure out if they are happy sad stressed etc.. and feel like I can figure out what is wrong and usually fix it but the corals I look at and I can tell somethings wrong but I can never seem to figure it out, I know with my tank it's mostly an immaturity thing but I still feel like I should be able to fix it. I have lost a few really nice pieces and other things thrive that should have the same requirements so definitely makes me think WTF am I doing wrong.

You obviously know what you are doing and I am sure you will get it back to where you need it, I sure hope you figure it out soon but seems like bad stuff happens fast and the good takes time in reef keeping.
Good luck and definitely following along.

It would make you sick if you saw what I've lost -- probably several thousand dollars worth of coral. This is the worst it's ever been. I almost want to give up but ... I will try and fix it. Some of the fish are quite old actually. I would like to get it fixed but nothing I do seems to get it all of the way there. So I thought a total revamp of the basement would help and doing larger water changes. I could also design a ATS into the mix too...

Hi Sherri, sorry weekend got a little crazy with the wife away. Are you saying that's an old video and most of that is dead?

One thing that concerns me is you are looking to make a drastic change and need to figure out a way to minimize the impact on what you have left with this change.

I just sent you a pm.

Btw, here is my basement

1020142236a_zpsz2pxot5z.jpg

Regards,
Mike

Last edited:
very nice.
I really like your basement sump very much

Hi Sherri, sorry weekend got a little crazy with the wife away. Are you saying that's an old video and most of that is dead?

One thing that concerns me is you are looking to make a drastic change and need to figure out a way to minimize the impact on what you have left with this change.

I just sent you a pm.

Btw, here is my basement

1020142236a_zpsz2pxot5z.jpg

Regards,
Mike

HI Mike -- yes -- a lot of the corals are gone. No plates, no birdsnest, very few mushrooms, many of the LPS, all of the SPS, it breaks my heart. It seems like it must have built up slowly and then stuff just started dropping like flies. I still have a lot of coral in the tanks. And absolutely yes -- this will be a really difficult thing to do so probably has to be done in stages so that we can keep stuff alive and keep the system going. Your basement looks great!

Thank you, it's nothing super fancy or high end, but it's very efficient and maintenance is a breeze.

Hopefully we can get you squared away. You certainly have the space and all the right equipment.

...stupid auto correct

After more deliberating and thinking, I finally realized that I have to admit and do an onerous task. I have to remove the sandbeds from both of the display tanks. I need to reconfigure the 180 and remove the fourway.

I have done everything under the sun for these tanks, I've quadrupled the carbon, doubled water changes, reduced what I'm feeding the fish - they are skinny! I've cleaned out my top off barrel and TDS never get above 1. It keeps getting worse so it has to be coming from somewhere and big water changes do not deal with the root cause.

I wanted to have the 180 as a peninsula tank so I did not want circulation pumps so I did a four way. That meant that I had to have pipes running along the bottom of the tank. What this means is less circulation. To make matters worse I have a huge piece of tonga rock that is mounted on an acrylic base. This acrylic is sitting on top of the pipes. I think my sandbed is sick. I think I have to spend a weekend tearing the whole thing apart, removing the fourway, using circulation pumps, and putting it back together. Perhaps I'll do the 180 and see what I can do with the 65 -- perhaps I don't have to tear that down.

I guess I'll start by setting up my QT tank and moving the smaller corals into that in an attempt to stop the losses. I may also stop using the LEDS and put my T5 fixture back up...

Hi Sherri, you have my cell and I'm off for veterans day if you want to call. I'm free all day :)

...stupid auto correct

Back