New Basement Sump System

So it's been a while since I updated this thread. The electrical problem got sorted out by Eversource putting in a new pole, giving us a dedicated box, and isolating the neutral. For the first time in years I don't get zapped!

The tanks are still growing a lot of hair algae. The tanks no longer looked like they were going to collapse but stuff wasn't thriving. So now I am replacing the sandbeds. After tomorrow, the 65g tank sandbed will have been completely replaced. Myk from Aquatic Creations has been doing it bit by bit once a week. Then he will start on the 180. Once that is done, there won't be much left that I could do to the system. The basement remains clean with nothing down there really. I still have a couple of clowns and a purple tang in one tank with nems but it is kept pretty clean. I wish I could bring them upstairs but the chevron tang and the purple tang probably would not get along.

The ATS is ok -- I replaced the lights I had with the Kessil maroon grow lights. It's ok -- I think I still need to modify it a bit. You can buy those kessils a lot cheaper on e-bay.

By the way, if anyone wants to come and take it, I have lots of rock that you can have for free.

BTW -- I could use some sand from others people's tanks to seed my new sand bed -- anybody willing to donate that's not too far away?

Glad to see you're cleaning up that basement. all the wires everywhere and salt creep on everything made me cringe. I wouldn't keep adding water volume if you cant keep up with nutrients and water changes as it is. Id keep the sump to a moderate size for all of your equipment- In a place where you can actually reach in and move stuff around without that brace from the stand in the way. Also think about setting up a larger mixing tank for water changes, cleaning up all the wires and salt creep, and plumbing a drain from one of the tanks into the sink, so water changes are as easy as cracking open a ball valve letting a tank drain for a little while and then turning on a switch from your mixing tank to replenish. The easier maintenance like waterchanging is the more likely you are to actually do it.

Actually, I am and always have been very disciplined about water changes and do them every week. The filter socks have basically eliminated the salt creep. The outlets are all on the wall now - most of them have been for a long time. Water changing is done through a water changing tank that is simply turning a ball valve.

We have talked about changing the table where the 75 is underneath but haven't done it yet. The problems with this system have been multiple and your advice is not really helpful as it is based on incorrect assumptions such as not doing enough water changes. Your tone is a bit insulting but never mind, I am sure you are well intentioned.

Last edited:
Back