New England Frag Farmers Market - Saturday March 8th

Really, how did I missed that. The shark is cool.

However,I feel that this year buyers are significantly less than last year.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Great fun there, many vendors and tons of people, parking is a big issue.
it is a LED galore, only two people, Greg Hiller and another hobbyist using metal halide. Hard to tell the true color of most of the coral. Jason Fox was there too with some nice stuff.

The LED thing was odd IMO. Made my eyes hurt, and the two frags I bought from LED tanks look nothing like what I Thought I was buying. The frag I got from Greg Hiller is fantastic though :)

Nothing against the FFM though. I'm just complaining about the current state of the hobby, not the event.....

Last edited by a moderator:
bought way too much, but at least I run LEDs and MHs and agree there is some corals I went, hummm when I got home. But over all I enjoyed the even.

i thought there was alot more people last year than this year i aslo got home and was wondering about the color diff on some things i bought but that one tank with that giant donut was crazy well worth the ride

Anyone know the price of that giant donut ?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Yes, that is the man. I bought an acro from him too.

Dong, just out of curiousity, what acropora did you get from hm? I didn't even bother to ask anything in his tank, nothing in particular that jump out as comparison to the photos in his website. I couldn't identify a single coral looking at them in person. I would expect the color will be screaming after all the tank was displayed with blue/actinic light alone. I was afraid to buy zoas as well, just like John said they don't look anything he saw it in person in LED display tank when he got into his tank. I bought mostly corals that I know base on the id and have seen it in others tanks.

Well, that is not a very good purchase. It is so called Medusa something, looks OK under LED he was using, looks like brown poop under my 250w radium metal halide.

One the other hand, the coral I got from Greg Hiller looks much better than at the market, under my radium halide.
The rest of the coral I bought, all SPS frags from various people, none of them look good under my halide. I only bought 6 frags so it is no big deal.

I dip all of them and so far so good and no pest fell off.

There is one acro in one of the vendor's tank has AEFW crawling on it. When I ask, the answer was: well, he is not into SPS.

But the overall experience is great, lot of fun.

Last edited:
The LED thing was odd IMO. Made my eyes hurt, and the two frags I bought from LED tanks look nothing like what I Thought I was buying. The frag I got from Greg Hiller is fantastic though :)

Nothing against the FFM though. I'm just complaining about the current state of the hobby, not the event.....

It might not be as bad if they would at least turn on the white light even just 10% intensity but depend all on actinic/blue. I do appreciate the blue light able to show better the colors of the corals which isn't as obvious to be noticed in white light, but to buy the corals depend 100% on blue light will definitely get disappointed when bring it back home. I only bought a paly the guy was selling utter chaos the size of the polyp as big as a penny. I never see one that can grow that big, either the type he has got super gene than other utter chaos, got to get one to give it a try haha.

Last edited:
Time to go with all LED lights. Clearly MH/natural light is not the right way to make corals look good ;)

One the other hand, the coral I got from Greg Hiller looks much better than at the market, under my radium halide.
The rest of the coral I bought, all SPS frags from various people, none of them look good under my halide. I only bought 6 frags so it is no big deal.

I dip all of them and so far so good and no pest fell off.

There is one acro in one of the vendor's tank has AEFW crawling on it. When I ask, the answer was: well, he is not into SPS.

But the overall experience is great, lot of fun.

I did see couple pieces of acropora I do like. When I asked the guy the id, he said it was from wild. It was cheap either. I did grap a piece of acropora, since I know what it will look in the tank, 30k lokani.

Someone asked me this question but I didn't know the answer.

"what is a chop-shop flea market?"

Someone asked me this question but I didn't know the answer.

"what is a chop-shop flea market?"

You bring your own cutter and frag what u like on the spot? LOL. I am curious to know what is that mean as well. Heard it before.

At least I bought those frags that is encrusting on the plugs. I ask a guy if a semi-colony is aquaculture or wild. Then he assured me that the coral was from Aussie, some how better than non-assuie? I passed.

Last edited:
Anyone bought those large blue maxima from Pacific East?

It might not be as bad if they would at least turn on the white light even just 10% intensity but depend all on actinic/blue. I do appreciate the blue light able to show better the colors of the corals which isn't as obvious to be noticed in white light, but to buy the corals depend 100% on blue light will definitely get disappointed when bring it back home. I only bought a paly the guy was selling utter chaos the size of the polyp as big as a penny. I never see one that can grow that big, either the type he has got super gene than other utter chaos, got to get one to give it a try haha.

I did get several pieces today (I know Dong, I know!) as well and I agree, the amount of LED actinic was a bit much. I understand why they do it but I did ask several vendors to turn on the white a bit so I could see what a piece looks like under typical daylight. They were all happy to do so and I actually thought some of the coral actually looked better with it. I use Radions and I do like the fluorescence you get under LED but run a more balanced color during the day. I can also see how it can be disappointing for people running T5 to not see that same fluorescence.

The best coral I got today is from...Greg Hiller!
170 miles round trip for that...

Greg Hiller is definitely a great guy. I casually mentioned that my blueberry didn't make it, and he offered to replace it. Top notch seller.

Back