Nick's 345G Build

It’s awrightttt.
C086A891-CF12-4BA8-8A13-2BF4C6E90CAF.jpeg

I have a very reliable shop in Cali called Aquatic Collection that shipped me the Latifasciatus clownfish I’ve been looking for. Not that I don’t support our LFS(I often get my stuff from Jays) but for rare stuff, I usually get them from the west coast.

I just love a good pair of wild clownfish in their host anemone. The Haddoni is not the Latifasciatus natural host but it’s close enough to the Mertensi anemone which is the natural host. I didn’t want to deal with another difficult to acquire and difficult to acclimate anemone. I already got two Giganteas downstairs. Not to mention a Mertensi is equally massive as a gigantea. This Haddoni will do.
CB58ECE8-C854-4DBF-BE85-A0D1D1932E34.jpeg

Hey Nick, curious what your daily/weekly schedule looks like as far as feeding/additives like coral food/aminos? Do you dose nitrate or phosphate or anything?

I'm getting lazier and lazier by the day. :D
With this tank, my daily task is really just feed the fish. The tank is on CWC(continuous water change) of 4G a day. All I have to do is to run the RO unit every 2-3 weeks to fill up the two 60G gallon drums, dump some IO salt and let it mix. I use a two bucket method where the first bucket mixes the salt then it get transferred to the second bucket to be drawn into the tank. This two bucket system allows me to use the nastiest salt and not have to worry about the crud getting into the tank.
With the CWC running, I don't really have to do manual water unless I wanted to. Sometimes, I need to do it because I've overfed the tank because of a new fish. My skimmer is drained into a 5G bucket and that's good for at least a month. But the skimmer neck usually be very filthy by then. I think all this set up has been posted somewhere in this thread.
I don't dose anything, ever. I feel like if the tank relies on me to remember to pour something in every day or a set schedule to survive, I've failed. Yes, really. I don't understand how anyone can keep their sanity while having to remember to dose something into their tank every single day. My parameters are kept stable with the CWC and the CARX. The fuge does a good job at exporting the nutrients since I do feed the fish heavily. I trim down the macros and feed to the fish.
I don't believe in any of those bacteria snake oil bullshit :D. Stuff I can't see, stuff I can't test, I don't mess with. Period.
I test for PO4, NO3, ALK almost every week. CA and MG once in awhile since they track pretty well with the alk with the CARX running. Remember, I'm on a 4G a day CWC so there's constanlty some replenishment.
Do I sound a little cocky? Arrogant? Whatever you want to think. But I actually like to enjoy my time elsewhere than to mess with the tank when there's nothing to mess with. I rather sit in the field alone on a nice weather day waiting for a bird to show up to take photographs than to tinker what I'm going to do next with the tank.
Do your water changes. Keep your hands out of the tank. Keep it simple. You'll last longer in this hobby.

Last edited:
I'm getting lazier and lazier by the day. :D
With this tank, my daily task is really just feed the fish. The tank is on CWC(continuous water change) of 4G a day. All I have to do is to run the RO unit every 2-3 weeks to fill up the two 60G gallon drums, dump some IO salt and let it mix. I use a two bucket method where the first bucket mixes the salt then it get transferred to the second bucket to be drawn into the tank. This two bucket system allows me to use the nastiest salt and not have to worry about the crud getting into the tank.
With the CWC running, I don't really have to do manual water unless I wanted to. Sometimes, I need to do it because I've overfed the tank because of a new fish. My skimmer is drained into a 5G bucket and that's good for at least a month. But the skimmer neck usually be very filthy by then. I think all this set up has been posted somewhere in this thread.
I don't dose anything, ever. I feel like if the tank relies on me to remember to pour something in every day or a set schedule to survive, I've failed. Yes, really. I don't understand how anyone can keep their sanity while having to remember to dose something into their tank every single day. My parameters are kept stable with the CWC and the CARX. The fuge does a good job at exporting the nutrients since I do feed the fish heavily. I trim down the macros and feed to the fish.
I don't believe in any of those bacteria snake oil bullshit :D. Stuff I can't see, stuff I can't test, I don't mess with. Period.
I test for PO4, NO3, ALK almost every week. CA and MG once in awhile since they track pretty well with the alk with the CARX running. Remember, I'm on a 4G a day CWC so there's constanlty some replenishment.
Do I sound a little cocky? Arrogant? Whatever you want to think. But I actually like to enjoy my time elsewhere than to mess with the tank when there's nothing to mess with. I rather sit in the field alone on a nice weather day waiting for a bird to show up to take photographs than to tinker what I'm going to do next with the tank.
Do your water changes. Keep your hands out of the tank. Keep it simple. You'll last longer in this hobby.
Of all the amazing content in this thread this is my favorite post to date. To achieve your level of success with such simple methodology. Wow. I hats to ask but how do you keep your ph up running a calcium reactor without kalkwasser.

Of all the amazing content in this thread this is my favorite post to date. To achieve your level of success with such simple methodology. Wow. I hats to ask but how do you keep your ph up running a calcium reactor without kalkwasser.
I don’t really know lol. I just keep up with the alk and see where the PH falls. I do spread out the light schedule on the main tank, fuge and the anemone tank. This does help with stabilizing the low PH hour and prevent it to dip further. In an ideal world, if you have two tanks hooked up to the same system, you would run the reverse light cycle of each other and the PH should be almost flat.
I think PH is probably one of the parameter that people overstressed. I don’t see it being a problem unless it’s below 7.7.
The PH probe needs to be calibrated quite often and replaced at least once a year. If the number don’t look correct, there’s a chance that it needs to be recal.
Here’s my tank PH for the past month. Probably need a recal or replaced as I haven’t replaced the probe since the set up of this tank(16months ago). I do plan on purchasing two this time and stick one in the CARX chamber and monitor the amount of CO2 in the chamber. I just had a CO2 dump and turned the Reborn media to mush. My electronic regulator is more than 10 years old and I just realized if it loses power, sometime when it turns back on, it’s stuck on the fastest rate. I already have two PH ports on my controller so quite easy to set up so that the controller cut power to the regulator if PH is way low.
3DE4089F-B6D6-431A-A64E-E404421FA941.png

I took out a tricolor slimer acro colony that was about 15” and threw it out in the yard and made room for a Red Haddoni and a pair of wild Latifasciatus clownfish.
They bring back the reason why I’m still doing this.
View attachment 172315
Beautiful but don't you find they seem more lethal to the fish than the other anemones? I have rarely lost fish to my gigantea but I had a haddoni that got a lot of my tangs. Tank looks awesome.

I have 10 tangs in the tank. We’ll find out how many I’ll have left. :p
I haven’t had the experience of keeping a Haddoni and a tank full of fish. My last experience with a Haddoni was in my 70G with very little fish. Didn’t remember it being a fish eater. My two giganteas are too big for this tank. If I can commit half the tank for them, I would have them up here but that’s too much real estate so they’re in their own tank.
Having no anemone and clownfish up here, I miss watching the activities of the clowns with the anemone. With a tank full of SPS on the rock, I do not want an anemone that would roam on the rock. So BTAs are out. Would love a Magnifica but that too is a rock dweller and can also get pretty big. My only option is a host anemone that is a sand dweller. I’m left with either a Sebae or Haddoni anemone.
Originally, I wanted a pair of wild True Sebae Clownfish or Saddleback Clownfish because their natural host is the Haddoni. However, I had a chance to get this wild pair of Latifasciatus from Madagascar so I bought them knowing that the Haddoni is not their natural host. But I also know the Latifasciatus natural host is a Mertensi anemone that is pretty close to the Haddoni. It worked out okay.

And I’m a little nerd like that on clownfish and anemones.
Haha, I had no idea there were so many combinations and I definitely didn’t know certain clowns host better with certain anemones. I always thought they would just host any type.

Back