Nick's Reef

Hi Nick,

nice pics as always.

what kind of lighting are on this tank?

i see lots of bubble algea, i dread those and looking for a small rabbitfish to take care of the problem.

Thanks.
I still use 14k Pheonix DE MH with Blue Plus and UVL Super Actinic T5.

The bubble algae has considerably reduced from my previous update. I had a bad outbreak of it and never did anything about it. My philosophy for this tank is not to over react on something that may be an eye sore but does not immediately and directly affect the corals. The thing about BA is that even if your nutrient level is low, it will still reproduce. I added a magnificent fox face and I'm not quite sure it's solely responsible for reducing the BA, but I do see it pull the BA out of the rocks from time to time. I'm very happy with the amount of BA still left compare to 3 months ago.

Thanks.
I still use 14k Pheonix DE MH with Blue Plus and UVL Super Actinic T5.

The bubble algae has considerably reduced from my previous update. I had a bad outbreak of it and never did anything about it. My philosophy for this tank is not to over react on something that may be an eye sore but does not immediately and directly affect the corals. The thing about BA is that even if your nutrient level is low, it will still reproduce. I added a magnificent fox face and I'm not quite sure it's solely responsible for reducing the BA, but I do see it pull the BA out of the rocks from time to time. I'm very happy with the amount of BA still left compare to 3 months ago.

I have a 38g that I am in the process of upgrading to 120 g. I want to move everything over except my bubble algae. Did your red sea sailfin eat any of the bubble algae (before capturing it)? Are you doing anything special to minimize the transfer of the bubble algae from the old tank to the new tank?

Beautiful tank BTW!

Doesn't matter what you do or how careful you are trying not to transfer BA or any type of algae to your new tank, your new tank will see some type of algae. I wouldn't stress over it. It so easy to get it. I honestly don't know how or where I got the BA. I just know that once I had it, they spread very quickly. After adding a bunch more tang(I have 3 yellow, 1 purple, 1 RS sailfin(sold), a magnificent foxface), 5 emerald crabs, and my weekly water change, the BA seem to be considerably reduced. The thing about BA is that it grows on the rock very good and those crevices. Unless the bubble algae are floating in the water, it's very unlikely that the tangs would be able to pull it off the rock and eat it. The emerald crabs, however, can pull the BA out of deep crevices.
When I had the sailfin, it does eat the BA when it's floating in the water. All of my other tang will eat it as well as long as the BA is free from the rock. The tangs graze on the rocks all day but I seldomly see any of them going after the BA.
I've learned how to live with a few algae and aptaisia in the tank. The aptaisias are easy enough to kill via Aptaisia X. They do come back but I really don't mind using Aptaisia X to kill them when I see a lot of them. The best and natural way to control aptaisia is to have angelfish in the tank. When I had my majestic angelfish, I couldn't find a single aptaisia. But I couldn't find a single polyps on my sps either :D. So the Angelfish had to come out of the tank and I'm now using Aptaisia X once in a while.

I have a little bit of BA as well. I have found if there is an area that I need to clean up if I take a small syringe/needle and inject a little H2O2 into the BA (under the base if it is a bunch of small bubbles, inside a large bubble) it causes the BA to die and makes it more likely my fish eat it. Maybe it just makes it easier for them to pull off.

Video update in 4K! Will have more update on the 360gallon project progress later.
This Elos has been a joy to run!
[YOUTUBE]AxbNqyQ5OKA[/YOUTUBE]

ok Nick, now i read it. i know you dont feed the nem as you dont want them big. are you aware sometime nem do eat itself when the condition is not ideal for him? maybe the light? maybe lack of feeding? anyway, if its healthy and happy but shrinking then i'd be happy too because big carpet is very invasive :) and when they decide to take a hike, its even more troublesome.

I'm not aware of gig eating itself.
I'm bad. I actually prefer it small like this as I already have a monster purple one for the clowns. Two massive gigs are just too much in this tank IMO. I will make a gigantea island on it owns when the new tank is up. I love giganteas!

Super nice Nick. I've been following your thread on RC. Is your Actinic vid just under the T5 UVL bulb(s)?

Yes. The macro under actinic video is just with blue plus and super actinic T5s.
Speaking of super actinic, I think UVL discontinued it(?). Can't find them anywhere.

Sweet. Thanks Dong for the info. I will most likely use these light until the transfer. But will order the super actinic in 60" for the bigger tank.

Sweet! Sitting at my kids hockey practice and made it from page 1 up until January this year....

I'll write more later, but man that red acanthophyllia is awesome. Those are by far my favorite LPS a well. Where did you pick those stunners up?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

The acanthrophlias are from phishybusiness and some are from Jays. I don't see them often anymore.

Back