Nick's Reef

Thanks guys.
Tank is being filled with RODI. I'm expecting to be mixing salt right in the tank by the end of the week. Sand will be coming this weekend followed by liverocks.
One Tunze 6105 on UPS truck. I ordered one only because I want to see how I like it. The MP40es on my system 70 is not impressive in the noise department. I've always been very fond of Tunze pumps.
I've ordered a custom sump of 22x24x18" with built in refugium from Advance Acrylic. John is a great guy to deal with on the phone and very reasonable price. I also ordered a 28x24x20 ATO reservoir. Promised arrival on my front steps no later than 3rd week of August.

Electrician coming over Saturday to hang the light fixture.

I'm still researching on protein skimmer.....Might run my Vertex Omega 150 in the beginning phase for the very low bioload tp buy me some more time on protein skimmer.

water level before I left work this morning
original.jpg

Water level this evening
original.jpg

The clarity of all sided starfire is pretty amazing.
original.jpg

Last edited:
Some update.
140lbs of sand was poured into the tank last Thursday night. I used these so called "live sand". The bag says "no waiting, just add water". It should be criminal for someone to claim this on the bag. It was a total milk shake and took at least 72hours to see anything at all. And I've been running a filter sock and washing it every 12hrs or so. And I'm currently running carbon to help clear up the tank water and I now can actually see through the tank width wise. Length wise is still not that clear.
http://naturesocean.com/aquarium-supplies/Bio-Activ-Live-Aragonite/Live-Sand.pdf

~110lbs of liverocks which have been in a member's tank were added Saturday. I added the rocks as if I was blindfolded because of the condition of the tank with the dust storm from the sand. Today, I did some aquascape and got the light hung. The aquascape is very similar to my system 70. I want to keep it simple and leave plenty of room for the fish to swim.

One of my Tunze 6105 came yesterday and I'm so happy with the pump that I immediately ordered another one which scheduled to be delivered this Thursday. The pumps run at 24V max flow and still be silent. I hated my MP40 on my 70 for the noise. I'm glad I went back to Tunze. The two Tunze will be controlled by Profilux when I have it all set up.

I'm currently running two 250W Pheonix 14K DE and 2 ATI blue plus, and 2 ATI coral plus. The coral plus will be replaced by UVL super actinic when I'm ready to stock coral. I'm intended to use only the T5s during the cycle and early phase of the tank hence the coral plus bulbs.

Next will be the sump and then I can run a skimmer.

original.jpg

original.jpg

What do u plan on using to clean the glass? I have a starphire cube and that glass scratches so easy. I take all the precautions and still see little micro scratches. If i had that tank, i would be super super careful. Looks awsome!

What do u plan on using to clean the glass? I have a starphire cube and that glass scratches so easy. I take all the precautions and still see little micro scratches. If i had that tank, i would be super super careful. Looks awsome!

I also notice this on my system 70. That the glass is easy to scratch. I don't recall how scratchable regular glass is but when you have sand in the tank and you use a magnet to wipe back and forth, it's just a matter of time that you'll find scratches.

I'm not sure how I will deal with the glass cleaning on this tank. I just know that I'll have to be careful when I'm near the bottom of the tank with the sand.

Nick, the water level looks a little crooked :) (kidding).

Stellar looking tank, I really love the clean lines and agree with the low rock work.......room for corals and fish are very important and create a great look.

As for cleaning it, get the flipper, works fantastic on my starphire glass and unless you get sand caught in it, it won't scratch anything.

do you plan to do just fish only tank? I think some corals would be nice in that tank
Really love the high tech ceiling mount light

I hope to get this tank as good or better looking than my previous tank which is still running but only with LPS. I sold all the SPS during the home construction process and moving because I didn't want to deal with the sensitivity of negligence of the the SPS. And I know the tank will have to be neglected. I wanted to start from frags again and watch them grow. Lol
It's pretty rewarding.
http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?129972-SPS-Eye-Candies&highlight=

I also notice this on my system 70. That the glass is easy to scratch. I don't recall how scratchable regular glass is but when you have sand in the tank and you use a magnet to wipe back and forth, it's just a matter of time that you'll find scratches.

I'm not sure how I will deal with the glass cleaning on this tank. I just know that I'll have to be careful when I'm near the bottom of the tank with the sand.

I have to say that this part aggravates me a little. My tank is made with Starfire glass, and I'm really careful cleaning it. But a couple months ago, not sure how (well, I'm pretty sure it was sand :mad:) I made a nasty scratch on the front panel...REALLY?! THE FRONT PANEL??!!!?

Of course it couldn't be on the sides, now when I walk though the door and look at the tank the scratch is the first thing I see every time. It sucks:(

One thing I can tell u is be careful how strong the magnet u use to clean is. I have 2 magnets I used to use. A medium and a Large w/scraper Mag-Float. I'm pretty sure the scratch happened when sand got stuck under the more powerful magnet. I haven't used that guy in a while now. Takes longer to clean with the medium, but I'm afraid to use the bigger one now...

I wpuld def do some research on the best magnet to use. Love the tank though. Good luck

Tunze has a new magnet cleaner you can drag through the sand and it won't put up sand and scratch the glass. Instead of pads it uses dual scrapers on each end.

Does that tank have a chase for the wires in the overflow?

Back