Ocean Water

I've been playing with NSW for close to 20 years. A mentor and friend, Joe Venuti (RIP) turned me on to it when I first started messing around in the Hobby. I collect from a 2'+ depth and never following a rainstorm. Most often times I check the parameters and bump alk and CA. Otherwise I've had great results.

Many public aquariums use NSW. As for your actual question of being "Best", you're probably going to get a bunch of mixed opinions.

Joe

I've been playing with NSW for close to 20 years. A mentor and friend, Joe Venuti (RIP) turned me on to it when I first started messing around in the Hobby. I collect from a 2'+ depth and never following a rainstorm. Most often times I check the parameters and bump alk and CA. Otherwise I've had great results.

Many public aquariums use NSW. As for your actual question of being "Best", you're probably going to get a bunch of mixed

Many public aquariums use NSW. As for your actual question of being "Best", you're probably going to get a bunch of mixed opinions.

Joe
Is it ok to store NSW outdoor in the New England unpredictable seasons? I am in the process of setting up my first tank. One of the many variables I need to consider is how to get salt water. Getting NSW from the bay 3 minutes away or go the route that most reefers take. It's either convenient or economical.

If I have the luxury of living nearby the ocean with crystal clear saltwater and have a large system, I would use nsw and supplement it to reef levels. Save lots of money on synthetic salt. More of a cost for me than quality since both are proven to grow corals well.

I understand up here there probably isn’t many reef harming micro organisms because of how cold the water is but do the people that use NSW do anything to prevent such and issue?

I understand up here there probably isn’t many reef harming micro organisms because of how cold the water is but do the people that use NSW do anything to prevent such and issue?
I have not done this but do the same as others. I am contemplating a UV inline with my mixing station pump though. I bump alk, and salinity with 1 cup salt mix per 20 gallons to get our local 30 ppt up to 33.5 or so at 75F. I don’t bother with Ca but if doing really big WC I would consider it. Water is heavy! If I did not have a pickup, live in a coastal town, and have my water mix/storage system plumbed to a fitting through the sill of my house it would not be worth it to carry the 40 gallons I change at a time, weekly, into the basement and down stairs. I used to do this but have too much other physical work around the house. My system volume is probably around 220 gallons. 180, with one sump and a big refugium. I supply my wife’s classroom aquariums with NSW as well, and that is where I cart the water around and get my workout. The home system had to be open a valve and plug in a pump or use gravity. My joints are getting tired! It can be a big money saver, I still make RODI for top off, and try to use that waste water for washing clothes or watering grass, since I pay city water and sewer bills. It is also nice for a 50 gallon bag of IO to stretch out over 500 gallons of water too!

I should qualify that my UV ideas stem from suspicion that nuisance algae could come in with the NSW. Honestly, it exists no matter what we seem to do so I have not acted on it yet. My current problem is lack of herbivores, but I plan to get some more.

Have you guys ever ICP tested the NSW? I’d love to do the reverse here, use synthetic salt and every now and then throw in 5g of NSW just for the bacteria…… but I’m always afraid of introducing something bad

NSW is perfectly fine. The chance of bringing in some kind of parasite is remote. Regarding storage, as long as it doesn't freeze, you can store it long term pretty much in any manner you like.

I’m another that uses exclusively NSW. I have a 13.5g nano, so collecting and carrying is pretty easy. I could walk to Boston Harbor but to be safe I collect from the end of a jetty in Winthrop where there are no outlets (streams, drain pipes, etc.) immediately adjacent. I always go out about an hour before high tide and never right after a heavy rainfall or snowfall. I collect in a 5g bucket and just pour through a sock to get big stuff out. Then I heat to temp in the bucket with a cheap Aqueon heater and $15 Amazon powerhead. I’ve never stored for more than 24 hours before a change.

Rather than closing up, I’ve noticed full extension on coral during water changes. Growth has been strong too, so the returns appear to be positive. I actually ordered an ICP test just out of curiosity - I’ll share results here. Alk for me is about 7dkh, mag is 1350, and CA is 420. Specific gravity is 1.025. I don’t add/supplement, but I do dose to maintain those levels. I find the alkalinity to be fine despite the fact it’s below what every website lists as the “recommended” range.

I’m another that uses exclusively NSW. I have a 13.5g nano, so collecting and carrying is pretty easy. I could walk to Boston Harbor but to be safe I collect from the end of a jetty in Winthrop where there are no outlets (streams, drain pipes, etc.) immediately adjacent. I always go out about an hour before high tide and never right after a heavy rainfall or snowfall. I collect in a 5g bucket and just pour through a sock to get big stuff out. Then I heat to temp in the bucket with a cheap Aqueon heater and $15 Amazon powerhead. I’ve never stored for more than 24 hours before a change.

Rather than closing up, I’ve noticed full extension on coral during water changes. Growth has been strong too, so the returns appear to be positive. I actually ordered an ICP test just out of curiosity - I’ll share results here. Alk for me is about 7dkh, mag is 1350, and CA is 420. Specific gravity is 1.025. I don’t add/supplement, but I do dose to maintain those levels. I find the alkalinity to be fine despite the fact it’s below what every website lists as the “recommended” range.
Good to hear ur doing well with it. I am thinking about storing in acouple of 50 gallon drum right outside my living room window whixh is closest to where I will place the tank and pump it in through the window as needed. I wonder if keeping it in the heat in the summer will change its properties? Too many variables to consider.

Good to hear ur doing well with it. I am thinking about storing in acouple of 50 gallon drum right outside my living room window whixh is closest to where I will place the tank and pump it in through the window as needed. I wonder if keeping it in the heat in the summer will change its properties? Too many variables to consider.
I would suggest storing indoors if you can. Too much light/crap/temp swings outside, but if covered properly on a platform- I think Greg Hiller is absolutely right. As for the pathogens/parasites concern- I think that is not an issue at all.
How much would people pay for clean sea water delivered and dispensed into the home? Are we talking heated, like somebody showing up with water of agreed alk salinity and temp, or just with raw NSW that is clean? Interesting idea. I suspect it might cost a bit to make it a viable business for someone. The key- water is heavy!

I would suggest storing indoors if you can. Too much light/crap/temp swings outside, but if covered properly on a platform- I think Greg Hiller is absolutely right. As for the pathogens/parasites concern- I think that is not an issue at all.
How much would people pay for clean sea water delivered and dispensed into the home? Are we talking heated, like somebody showing up with water of agreed alk salinity and temp, or just with raw NSW that is clean? Interesting idea. I suspect it might cost a bit to make it a viable business for someone. The key- water is heavy!
That solved one more variable. NSW it is! If I keep this up with every minute details it will take me uears to get a tank running. Thank you everyone for your input!

Back