Power outage

Five fish in that short of time with the temperature still at 71 is highly unusual, makes me wonder whats going on with that tank.

Jim

Still no power in halifax... probably won't be back for a day or two. We actually bought another generator since the new one we bought last winter broke

Can someone snap a pick of the battery power packs you are referring too? and how you set them up?

If I had this back power source connected to one power head (kessil says 7 watts) and one heater ( says 500 watts!) how long could this keep my tank on a life support system? I am looking to keep my tank up and running in the event of emergency for 8 hours? I assume in 8 hours I would detect power is out and start my generator. This is really for the ER when I am at work or asleep.

Have you ever needed to rely on this product how did it perform?

863ec0950a1c17ed005b0417913f24d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You need something like a tripplite inverter. It has the float charger (this is important), the inverter, and transfer switch all built into 1 unit. Here's the thing you will need in addition to the inverter at least 1 deep cycle battery. DO NOT use a car battery. Car batteries are not built to be drained of power and will only work a few times (maybe 10ish).

How long you can keep stuff running depends on the amp hour rating of the battery. It is important to understand that ac and dc amperage is different (because it relies on voltage. Only 12 from the battery vs 120 from the wall so you need to x or ÷ by 100 for calculations ) and since you are converting dc power to ac devices you lose a lot.
Example.
A 200ah deep cycle battery will run 8.3 dc amps (about 100w) about 10 hrs but the same 200ah battery running 8.3 ac amps (roughly 1000w) would be about 1 hour.
So a single 200ah deep cycle marine battery would run a 500w heater for maybe 2 hours at a continuous run. Heaters cycle off and on so let's say maybe 3 hrs.

Using an inverter is a good idea but for long time use it will only run a powerhead and/or some pumps for any long period of time. Unless you are prepared to have several batteries daisy chained (which can be done).

I'd like to state it's best to have the batteries stored outside in battery boxes rather than in the home. This is because if they overcharge they will vent h2.

Well here we go 3:00AM and we are running on Generator. We single phased 1st then full outage at 2:30. I hate being a light sleeper [emoji17] anyways hopefully power will be back soon. I have about 9-10 hr run time before I have to fill it back up. All main house stuff up and running as well as the 2 tanks. Hope everyone else has power out there.

My wife yelled at me when I went to start the generator at 530 this am. I waited until 6. She's too nice to the neighbors lol...

On a connected note there used to be a thread about a DIY correct battery backup. Not sure if it was on this forum or RC. Anyone have a link?

My wife yelled at me when I went to start the generator at 530 this am. I waited until 6. She's too nice to the neighbors lol...

On a connected note there used to be a thread about a DIY correct battery backup. Not sure if it was on this forum or RC. Anyone have a link?

Started mine at 3:00 AM [emoji12]

Hey I am new to this group but I have one of those car inverters I think 750 watts I could let you borrow for a few days if needed. It would be enough to run the biocube or a heater I would think. I got a battery powerstrip on my main pump for my cube and plan to use the inverter if power goes out but I am in Arlington and all looks good here and I am heading to work in Quincy if you wanted to meet up to grab it.

In Tewksbury there saying we won’t have power until 1145 Friday night. My power has been off since 930 last night. Luckily I found a Lowe’s that is getting an order of generators in and ordered one. I should be receiving it around 2pm. No way the tank will last that long without power

Back