Randy's Two Part Additive System Question

naturebatslast

Senior Toad Licker
I just made the switch to the 2 part system, recipe 2. My alk is testing at 3.2meq(an 8) and I'd like to bop it up to 4.0meq. I stumbled across a calculator at cnidarianreef.com, here's the link
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html
It claims in order to raise my alk to 4.0meq it requires,255.9 ml; 8.6 fl oz; 51.1 tsp. Does this sound kosher?
Also, his article states to be primarily concerned with manipulating dosing of the alk. How much calcium should I dose if I needed to add 8.6oz. I'm most concerned with the alk/calcium relationship, being heavily dosing one will affect the other.
Last one, can I combine and dose as as one?
Thanks,NBL

Thanks Flighty!
Just plugged in some more numbers, this chemistry claculator (link above) is claiming, to dose in equilivent, balanced alk/ca is 2.95meq/420ppmCa, and I'd have to dose 22 oz. Isn't 2.95 low? But isn't target Ca 420? But...what....ummm, I'm confused.

Make sure you are paying attention to the units on alc. there are several different ways to express it

Thanks, for ppm I wasn't aware of that. I've been try to stop using dkh(..something like deciliters c(k)arbonate harness?).

Have you just tried adding a dissolved baking soda + RO/DI water solution?
Just dissolve 2 tsp of baking soda in 50 or 100 ml of RO/DI water, mix thouroughly, and pour slowly into your tank.
A couple of hours later, check the alk. Check it again 8 hours later.
If the level doesn't jump enough, go to a 3 tsp solution the next day.

I hava a calc reactor that's never been used.
It's the CR2 from My Reef Creations.
Hopefully I can dial it in easily. I don't have a lot of patience. :p

Thanks Moe! I think I may have realized my issue. I baked the baking soda, where I shouldn't of. I think I misread in the first article that it didn't matter if the Bsoda was baked or not, where I think it does matter . I remade the alk recipe, which is basically what you advised.
I can figure this out it's going to a cheap methood of maintaining alk calcium, but, I can't wait to save up for a calcium reactor.
Thanks again Moe,
Matt

Back