Silicon For Tank?

pats-fan

Non-member
Hi All,

Just hoping to get some advice from you all.

Last spring, due to some renovations, I needed to break down my 72 gallon bow and I'm ready to get back into the hobby. While the tank is empty, should I take the opportunity to do some preventative maintenance on the seals? The tank did not leak for as long as I've had it. However, the seal on the bottom-front of the tank (maybe 2 millimeters) has pulled off of the glass most likely due to overzealous scraping coralline algae from the tank. The rest of it appears to be adhering well to the glass. This is the condition of the tank when I emptied the water out, so it has nothing to do with it being empty for 7 months.

So, would running a thin bead of aquarium safe silicon across all the seams be a good or bad idea?

I'm interested in your thoughts.

Ken

Dont think that would do anything. Not exactly sure how it works but would think you would have to remove all old silicone

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

So new silicone will not bond as well to the old stuff. If you wanted to do that you should probably remove the stuff that is not the part holding the panels together and redo the seal that way.
Some will tell you that new silicon will not bond to old at all. This is not true but as stated before it won't bond as well.
If there is a quarter of an inch or so though I might not worry about it.

Back