Southdown Order Anyone?

Freakin SCORE! 6 pallets of tropical playsand at Russels garden center on rt 20 in Sudbury Ma. Less than $6 a 60# bag. Repackaged from YARDRIGHT. Different package same sand.

My legacy to you the awesome BRS Members!

Good deal!! I'm sure everyone wil appreciate your efforts on this.
Word should spread fast. 6 pallets is a lot, but I bet it will go fairly fast

Can someone post a picture of the new bag so there is no confusion if we find it at one of our local stores...i think I found the same stuff in CT but I need to go back to be sure...

A picture would be worth a million words...sorry not a million bucks...

CamaroJWeed said:
Can someone post a picture of the new bag so there is no confusion if we find it at one of our local stores...i think I found the same stuff in CT but I need to go back to be sure...

A picture would be worth a million words...sorry not a million bucks...

its basicly the old southdown bags without the word southdown on it, same exact bags though. blue with the kid on the picture,with the words tropical on the top in large type.

Try this, minus the word "southdown."

southdown.jpg

-Linda

I have just been told by a local retailer that recently completed an extensive search for Southdown or any equivalent under any name.

Apparently southdown as we know it simply does not exist anymore, the process previously used to "manufacture" it does not exist, or is otherwise not being used.

He was told by Southdown (Yardright, Old Castle) that the new stuff is not the same old stuff in a new bag, and its NOT SILICA FREE.

Can anyone confirm?

but what he didnt mention was the sand that is still left over. there is a limited amount left over that is still the same stuff and is silica free. the bag looks just like the southdown bag but is missing the southdown logo and the small southdown inc label has beed replaced with oldcaslte inc. just got some yesterday better get yours while it lasts

Actually he told me that he spent quite a while working with the Southdown rep searching all the distributors to find out if someone was sitting on some and there was just none to be found. This was apparently last fall.
I guess there was some afterall.

Where did you get yours?

yes Russels is where i got mine and as of now it is the only place i know that has it.

Pyro, I spent alot of time talking with multiple vendors. They all corroberated the same info without me prompting them. Southdown was bought by Yardright was bought by or is a subsidiary of oldcastle. True it will no longer be produced. This product is Southdown repackaged in yardright bags. there are less than 1000 pallets remaining. Everyone should spread the word and encourage Bill at Russells to buy more. KT

Sir Hoggas, I was told the same info that you note above, with the exception that the stuff is not in fact the same stuff in new bags, it's new stuff in new bags. It's washed silica sand. This info (apparently) came from the Yardright/Southdown (same company actually) rep..

I am more apt to believe info that came from a Yardright rep then a Yardright vendor. I would love to be wrong, can anyone verify one way or the other for sure?

PyroJon said:
Sir Hoggas, I was told the same info that you note above, with the exception that the stuff is not in fact the same stuff in new bags, it's new stuff in new bags. It's washed silica sand. This info (apparently) came from the Yardright/Southdown (same company actually) rep..

I am more apt to believe info that came from a Yardright rep then a Yardright vendor. I would love to be wrong, can anyone verify one way or the other for sure?

Then don't you think "silica free" printed on the bag could bring a lawsuit, if it actually had silica in it?????

Their other sand is not silica free, but the bag doesn't say it either.

Last year I bought 6: 50lb bags of this same stuff at the HD in Taunton. It looks like the red and blue south down bag with the kid and shovel but the Southdown logo is gone. Oldcastle is on the bottom of the bag. It also says Caribbean, silica free, not for aquariums... 6 months ago I put a half bag of this on top of two bags of southdown that I bought packaged in white paper bags (long story). No ill effects. Before I added, I did a wash in a five-gallon bucket outside. While sifting I noticed a few small shells. This gave me a better feeling this was the good stuff. Maybe someone might want to do the same. Take it outside and sift through the stuff to see if there are any shells.
So what's the verdict? Is it true...No more sand after this batch is gone :eek:

Back