Thinking of setting up a frag tank - Lighting and tank options

Intheflesh

Non-member
This is just one of the million ideas that fill my head everyday, and only about 0.001% of them actually see fruition.

I am thinking setting up a 40 gallon breeder, and 20 gallon sump Frag growout/QT tank with the extra equipment I have laying around the house. This will be in the basement, so it doesn't need to be 'pretty'.

What would you recommend for lighting? I am trying to keep the electric bill down too, so i'm aiming towards LEDs. How much does a "chinese" LED cost these days?

What other options do I have for a low profile, wide tank? I see Advanced acrylics makes specialized frag tanks, but I am thinking a more "out of the box approach". Deep blue tanks look promising, but I dont' know how readily available they are on the used market. Any equipment that I don't already have would be purchased second hand; this is a budget build.

I think im aiming towards a 30 or 40 gallon breeder at this point, or maybe even one of those 2x4 flood tables. The breeders seem readily available on the used market, and I can buy one cheaply enough if I can find a $1/g sale.

My main tank is still young; I wont be fragging anything for a long time. I wouldn't really be utilizing a 100 gallon tank. Plus that means, bigger pumps, skimmer, lights, electricity. Right now, this will serve mostly as a grow out tank for zoas, rics, and a hospital tank for a few corals that got roughed. (Over the summer, I hit the rotary dial on my heater, and the temp in tank got up to 92°F for a day!)

If you plan on growing frags out in the FT and moving them to your DT, I'd suggest having the same light set up if possible. Same goes in reverse, if your trimming your colonies and stashing them in the FT having similar light setups will cause you the least amount of headache.

Back