yet another build thread (180 inwall)

so i have had issues about my rodi system. first i dont completely trust the float valves or solenoid that shut it down via back pressure. i usually shut it off with a small ball valve when i am not home. sometimes i would forget to do that and it would be in the back of mind all evening. the 2nd problem i have with it is if i am away i need someone (aka my sister in law) to come over and look at the tank but if the ro water was low she would sit around here for hours to make water. i started thinking that i wanted to add an electronic solenoid to hook up to the apex but when i started looking around they were quite expensive 50 to 80 bucks. the other day i was at a friends house he had gone through a similar issue in the past and found that a dishwasher inlet valve was the perfect inexpensive solution. so i went online and for 16 bucks, shipping, and 12 dollars in connector pieces and an extension cord i am in business! now i can turn on and off the water anywhere i have 3g service. and i have it set up so now it will also auto run a few hours a day.
4ccc32b5.jpg

Hey thats just what the doctor ordered, i was having the same issue with my r/o setup so i was shutting off the supply via ball valve. Recently i added a 20 gallon res that gravity feeds my sump for makeup but still have to manually fill the container. Now when we go on vacation i always worry if there is enough water to make up for evap. i could use that on a timer to run my r/o for a couple hours a day, the only question is how long its gonna take her to realize the dishwasher doesn't work? And yeah ill get in touch with you soon, i just picked up a 150 and would like to check out your new setup and maybe bounce a couple of things off of you as well.

good idea Chris :)

so i have had issues about my rodi system. first i dont completely trust the float valves or solenoid that shut it down via back pressure. i usually shut it off with a small ball valve when i am not home. sometimes i would forget to do that and it would be in the back of mind all evening. the 2nd problem i have with it is if i am away i need someone (aka my sister in law) to come over and look at the tank but if the ro water was low she would sit around here for hours to make water. i started thinking that i wanted to add an electronic solenoid to hook up to the apex but when i started looking around they were quite expensive 50 to 80 bucks. the other day i was at a friends house he had gone through a similar issue in the past and found that a dishwasher inlet valve was the perfect inexpensive solution. so i went online and for 16 bucks, shipping, and 12 dollars in connector pieces and an extension cord i am in business! now i can turn on and off the water anywhere i have 3g service. and i have it set up so now it will also auto run a few hours a day.
4ccc32b5.jpg

awesome tank bro, for whatever reason i have missed this thread til now... i believed we conversed over on RC a few times as i used to have a 40g breeder before my 75 now... jus this past weekend i picked up an AGA 180 with corner overflows and custom tubesteel stand... seeing your rig has me itchen to get mine goin right now, like tonite! lol, actually it wont be for a few months more likely than not, but yours is awesome, and inspiring... very well done my fellow Pats fan ;)

ps, love the chocolate tang (some call them mimics)... he is gorgeous!

good idea Chris :)
garydn was stated friend who found the dishwasher valve...14 dollar solution (if you dont count the 50foot extension cord i needed). also if you look in the pic above i tried using zip ties rather then hose clamps to keep the hose around the valve.....bad idea

well i haven't posted in a while. i haven't done much really this summer to the tank except basic maintenance. i also changed to the phoenix 14k lightbulb and i am much happier with it! i think i will stick with them. here are a couple of update shots

fts sept 2011
9-15-11.jpg

tankright.jpg

tankcenter.jpg

thanks guys...ya know i have only had 9 fish for some time maybe i will add something new. a jap swallow tail angel or something.

thanks all for looking...i am in the early planning stage of adding a new 24 gallon top down display built out of large plastic container i have had for a while now...still to early to tell if i will really follow through with it but who knows.

new fish time.

i decided to take a chance on a moorish idol these fish for those who dont are notoriously hard to keep. the first step was getting a fish that i know is eating. i really only go to 1 store in my area any more so he brought in the fish and i observed it eating pe mysis shrimp. one good sign on a healthy idol i learned is the banner that extends off the top fin. if it is missing don't buy the fish. keep it at the store and see if it starts to grow back. it will happen fast if the fish is in good shape. mine had a partial banner and was about 1/2 inch long after a week.
i saw the fish eat at the store so i took him home and put him in an isolation tank. there i fed him more mysis and added enriched brine shrimp and some of the mixed food i use as well. he snapped up the mysis and brine shrimp a bit reluctantly but he ignored the other food. but that didnt bother me i always feed some mysis anyway. he spent a week there.
i was afraid of him getting picked on but the other members of my tank. we all have seen a new fish get beat up with little ya can do but hope it gets better. so i came up with a plan to introduce the idol by taking a plastic 5 gallon tank and suspending it in my display. i also cut a door into one side so on the day i was gonna put him in i floated the 5 gallon tank put the idol in about 2 hours before lights out. he could be investigated by all his new tank mates. so i watched and never really saw any real aggression. i was most worried about the bristletooth tang for some reason hes a bit aggressive to the new guy from time to time. everything looked ok however and after the lights were out for a couple hours i opened the door to the isolation tank and he swam out when he felt like it.
there was very little fighting the next day. i did all this when i knew i had a day off with full intentions of tearing 1/2 my 180 if something went bad. now its been a couple weeks and hes doing well he will eat anything that gets put in the tank now and gets along great with other tank mates.
some pics
with good camera
Morishidol.jpg

iphone

011c7be5.jpg

07460cea.jpg

iphone vid
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid194.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fz43%2Fcilyjr%2Fce0f540f.mp4">

Back