Paul B's thread

Last night we had friends over and I made saute'd Calamari over linguine with fresh pesto sauce. I grew the basil last year for the pesto. I also baked a loaf of rosemary Italian bread. :)

We have no leftovers.

IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

Here in New York we have to get our cars inspected every year. If we don't, we can't renew our registration. The fee for the inspection is set by the state and it isn't much but it allows repair shops to get your car in to "inspect".

If it fails, you can't take the car home and you have to either have it fixed there, or tow it.

I have been driving since 1967 and have never paid anyone to work on any of my cars or boats because in another life I was a mechanic and I don't trust anyone's work, especially on brakes.

Of course now I have a torn rotator cuff and can't install brakes or rotors on my car until I get it repaired so after I inspected it on the rack in the place I had it inspected I saw it had a cracked rotor. Something I could have replaced in 20 minutes and the entire job would have cost me $150.00 for parts.

I had to pay $600.00 for this job. I can't believe people pay these prices for simple mechanic repairs. This was just the rear brakes. I replaced the front brakes 2 years ago. I assume for all four wheels it would have been $1,200.00 which I feel is ludicris.

The next time I need an inspection I will inspect the brakes before I go and replace them if needed. :(

Here in New York we have to get our cars inspected every year. If we don't, we can't renew our registration. The fee for the inspection is set by the state and it isn't much but it allows repair shops to get your car in to "inspect".

If it fails, you can't take the car home and you have to either have it fixed there, or tow it.

I have been driving since 1967 and have never paid anyone to work on any of my cars or boats because in another life I was a mechanic and I don't trust anyone's work, especially on brakes.

Of course now I have a torn rotator cuff and can't install brakes or rotors on my car until I get it repaired so after I inspected it on the rack in the place I had it inspected I saw it had a cracked rotor. Something I could have replaced in 20 minutes and the entire job would have cost me $150.00 for parts.

I had to pay $600.00 for this job. I can't believe people pay these prices for simple mechanic repairs. This was just the rear brakes. I replaced the front brakes 2 years ago. I assume for all four wheels it would have been $1,200.00 which I feel is ludicris.

The next time I need an inspection I will inspect the brakes before I go and replace them if needed. :(
Take a drive up to my house and I'll do them in the driveway next time. Crazy prices on everything theses days.

I went to my Shoulder Surgeon fish and I have this big tear in my rotator cuff. (Like I didn't already know that)

So I have my surgery booked but it is in the middle of the summer. The operating rooms here are booked about 3 months out so if you need your gallbladder out because of intense pain from a cro bar impaled through it due to an accident between you and a 6 ton Mack truck hauling Toyota Corolla's you better keep spraying that cro bar with WD-40 to keep the rust off until you can get into that operating room with Dugie Howser.

This will be my 8th (I think) shoulder surgery, 4 on that shoulder alone so I hope by now they get it right. I had 32 surgeries total where they had to knock me out but if you didn't tear or break everything at my age, you didn't do enough and may have had a boring life. :D

I asked my surgeon if he used aluminum toggle bolts from Home Depot along with "Reef Glue" the last time being it only lasted 14 months. He just looked at me funny.

He said, After 3 repairs on that shoulder there wasn't much room for him to put in new screws or duct tape.

At that time he should have said, "I think you need a completely need shoulder" but I think he owns the physical therapy place I have to go to after the surgeries.

I am going to try to last until the winter because our pool is opening tomorrow and we normally have music and big parties through the summer and I need my arms to be able to flail around while I do the Macarena and if I keep screaming i will lose my edge along with my reputation.

I like to grab the old Ladies and dance with them. They think of me as a Boy Toy even though when I attended grammar school we still had ink wells on the wooden desks. :)

So we had to be at her graduation at Fordham Law school at 7:45 am in the Bronx. (NYC). That is about 45 miles from me but the traffic there looks like a cup of live, adult brine shrimp and at that time in the morning, rush hour, it moves more like a cup of frozen brine shrimp.

We decided to go there the day before and sleep in a hotel. I searched the net for a hotel near by. It's not to far from Yankee Stadium.
I find a place 3 miles from the university and "WAYS" said it would take 40 minutes to get there from the hotel.

40 minutes to go 3 miles is normal for the Bronx or anywhere in the New York City boroughs.

I called to make the reservation and got the front desk. I don't think the girl I spoke to went to Fordham.
She was very nice but may have had the IQ of one of the apples on her desk.

She asked my name. I said very slowly "PAUL BALDASSANO". She asked "Is BALDASSANO your first or last name?".

I said Baldassano is my last name and PAUL, like the Saint is my first name.
OK. Spell it.... I asked Baldassano? She said "No, spell Paul".

OK. P A U L. Like the Saint. What Saint?. I said Saint Paul which I could tell went right over her semi empty head.

So I said, "Would you like me to spell Baldassano. She asked "Whats that?"

I replied, "my last name". She said "Oh OK, spell that".

I spelled my name very slowly 3 times. Then I had to spell it phonetically. 3 times.

B, as in ballerina, A, as in the apple in your head, L, as in lunatic, D as in dope and so on.

Then she asked my E Mail which ends in AOL.COM. She asked "Whats that"?

I said My E Mail. She said "Can I spell it?". I said "spell what"? She said "Spell AOL. COM".

I said "Spell what?" She said "AOL.COM". I said, "Thats it."

She said, "What"? I said AOL.COM.
My wife was hysterical and I said it again but she never heard of it. I know no one uses AOL.COM any more but I was here way before the internet was invented and I got AOL and still have it. This girl who seemed to be about 30 never heard of it. She never even heard of ".COM".

So I spelled it very slowly. A O L . C O M

This conversation is absolutely true and if I knew she was such a genius I would have taped this conversation.
And she got a job at the front desk of a hotel that is rated Excellent.

The place was in the biggest dump in the Bronx but it was only 4 weeks old, kind of like this receptionist.

One of my butterflies was born with a defective wing so she can't fly. If I find a dead butterfly I will perform a "wingectomy" and super glue a new wing section on her. :)

1711174372_MemorialDay4.jpg

Tomorrow I am going to Calverton Military Cemetary which is the largest Military cemetery in the US and is very close to my home. I also have a few friends there and some day, I will also be there. I can't think of a better place to spend eternity.

I, along with many more Patriots will be placing thousands of flags on the graves of the Hero's there.

Next week we will go back to remove them.

Last edited:
Me and one of my Nam Buddies placing flags at Calverton yesterday. Unfortunately, besides dozens of Boy Scouts, there were no adults there younger than about 50. I guess they don't teach the younger generation about what our Fathers and Grand Fathers went through so they can spend all their time on social media. :(

Tom and me placing flags.jpeg

Attachments

• Placing flags.JPG
    Placing flags.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Last week I released 6 of the 7 butterflies I grew. One of them, not this one was born with a bum wing and she can't fly.

I still have her in a cage where she can flap around and she "eats" or drinks Gatorade. She seems fine but a little bored. I think they only live a couple of weeks so when she dies, I will bury her.
Butterfly.jpg

So I finally broke down and took out my vintage microscope that I got from Galileo to see what this stuff is that is growing all over my tank in ugly strands which I thought was an evil algae. But like some people told me, it is dino's. Millions of them (I counted).

I took this from just putting my finger in the floating gunk on the water surface.

Dino's.jpg
View attachment 98122

I know it looks like the moon, but it isn't. They are dinos and they are alive, well and doing the macarana all over my tank. I find them rather interesting but they are beginning to bore me. I want to leave them there a little while longer until I am totally sure there is no more invasive sponge in my tank and these guys will smother anything trying to encrust on the rocks.

Soon I will change out this ASW which I am not thrilled with and again fill my tank with nice slightly polluted New York real seawater which should eliminate these guys. I think it's the sauerkraut water from the Hot Dog carts that does it.

In spite of all these dino's the tank is doing very well and the corals look great. I have about 44 fish but most of them are tiny so they are very hard to count, sort of like counting dino's.

Back