Paul B's thread

Thats great. :D Tomorrow we will go back to remove the flags. I hope the boy scouts are there to help us:)

I don't get excited about dino's. The only thing at my age that excites me is a beautiful girl carrying me a plate of linguine and clams.....OK, she can even be plain looking with a nice personality. :unsure:

My Doctor called me today to say he has my MRI. It seems the two tendons that hold my arm on my shoulder are both completely torn off the bone and that is bone on bone. My bicep is also shredded like cottage cheese. So if I turn fast my arm may fly off and hit someone casually walking by.

He said he is surprised I can move my arm at all. So my surgery is set for about 8 weeks from now and I will be getting a Brand new shiny aluminum shoulder most likely from Home Depot.

Now I go for (I think) a CAT scan so I may have to bring my Daughters cat. They need that to see how to build the artificial shoulder joint. This will be I think my 8th shoulder surgery and I also think my 33rd surgery in all. I am going for a record.

I already have a new knee which I am very happy with :giggle:

I think these guys are spawning in the back of the tank. Possum wrasse is watching
Spawning Hectors.JPG

Sunburst and urchin.JPG

Yesterday morning at 6:15 I walked down to the beach with a bucket. I knew it would be low tide at 7:30 and I was early but thats when I do my morning walks. I also like to watch the sunrise before the rest of the world gets up and I get back home when most people are still sleeping.

The tide was somewhat low and there were exposed rocks at the shore so I decided to try to collect.
The first rock I lifted surprised me with hundreds of amphipods which I quickly swirled in a bucket of sea water. Then another and another. In 5 minutes I had thousands of amphipods and I assume millions of "free" copepods along with healthy mud full of bacteria.

I strained out most of the very fine mud and seaweed but kept everything else. I put it all in a small container and submerged it in my tank. I did that because I didn't want all the rocks and gravel I collected, just the bacteria and pods.

For hours they left the container and darted all over the tank. I also "shot" a bunch of the larger, "breeder" amphipods with eggs into my reverse undergravel filter where they will spawn. Even though these amphipods are from New York, they continuously spawn in my tank. I still find them from last year under the rocks. They make excellent scavengers and fish food and the bacteria keeps the tank healthy.

I took pictures and video's but I can't access those on this computer. When I get a minute, I will download them. I also twisted my ankle yesterday helping out a friend and between that and my broken shoulder, it takes me a little time to do some things right now. :)

So I just got back from my shoulder surgeon and I found out I need to also go to a neck neurosurgeon. Who even knew there was such a thing?

It seems a nerve in my neck is squashed so I won't have full strength in my brand new shoulder which by the way will be a reverse shoulder replacement. They do that so I can catch a ball while facing backwards. :rolleyes:

I added so many amphipods in the last few days that I think I may have overdone it a little. I collected and added thousands of the little buggers.

I have been very busy lately for a few things so I can only collect at 6:00 am at low tide which doesn't happen to often at that time so I have to be ready.

They are in every nook and cranny in my tank and I just looked with a flashlight below my tank at the reverse undergravel filter and they are doing the macarana all over the place.
I took a video collecting them on the beach but my computer says the file is corrupted so I can't access it. I will try to take another video but that won't be soon.

As I was looking for them, I also found a small red fish that looks like a fresh water Platy which I have no recoletion of buying. I don't know how long it has been in there but it stays in a small cave in the back under the rocks. Many times I find a creature in there that I forgot about.

Pods.JPG

I took another amphipod hunting video early this morning just because the last video I took doesn't work for some reason. When I get time I will see if this one works.

I won't be able to get down there for a month or so now as I have other things I need to do least of which is get a new shoulder and being those amphipods are heavy, I won't be able to pick them up. :oops:

I already have to many amphipods so these I will keep in a small tank as "pets". :D

In a week or so I need to do a water change. I am not a big water change freak but my tank is now filled with ASW so I could eliminate invasive sponge which I did but now I want to get rid of this fake water and put in real seawater. Soon I will have my shoulder replaced and I won't be able to use that arm for a couple of months and the water in my tank now is full of dying sponge chemicals so it is making way to many diatoms.

It will be very difficult to collect water now because I need to do it 100% with pumps as I can't lift it just now.
I will hopefully have some help in a week or two. :)

Collecting Amphipods

You can't see it well in the video but after I lift a rock, I just rub my hand over the bottom of the rock, and the amphipods stick to my hand. When I want a lot more amphipods, I bring a larger bucket and swirl the rocks in the bucket. That way I get them all.

These things make great scavengers and food. They also reproduce in a tropical tank

So now I am re married as we renewed our vows in Bermuda. We are married 50 years. My wife found this church from New York and called the priest to see if the guy could perform the ceremony. We took a cab there and the church was all locked up but thats another story. A woman called and woke up the priest who was a great guy. He had on these old shorts and put the priest robes over them. My Grand Son Teddy gave my wife away.

My Grand daughter was the maid of Honor and my Son n Law was the best man. My wife was very happy.
Kissing Bermuda.jpg

Family Bermuda Church.jpg

So now I am re married as we renewed our vows in Bermuda. We are married 50 years. My wife found this church from New York and called the priest to see if the guy could perform the ceremony. We took a cab there and the church was all locked up but thats another story. A woman called and woke up the priest who was a great guy. He had on these old shorts and put the priest robes over them. My Grand Son Teddy gave my wife away.

My Grand daughter was the maid of Honor and my Son n Law was the best man. My wife was very happy.
View attachment 195368
View attachment 195369
Congrats @Paul B and Happy Anniversary to you and the misses:)

I haven't changed any water since February and I am not a big water change guy but I want to try to collect 40 gallons and change it tomorrow. The last change I filled the tank 100% with ASW. I don't like that stuff and want to start putting back NSW. I used the ASW to try to eliminate the photosynthetic sponge I had covering everything and I have not seen any of it since then so I "assume" and hope it is totally gone.

After the change I have dinos growing all over the place and I am hoping the change to real water will do something to eliminate it. Of course it may make it worse.

This morning I collected and changed 40 gallons of water. I had to filter it because it was choppy and it rained hard last night about 2" so it was full of chopped up seaweed, bikini tops, truck tires and sand.

This mornings walk was slightly interesting, but not much.
It was a beautiful sunrise.

Sunrise.JPG

AS I walked I came across what looked like an ancient campsite.

Beach Junk.jpg

I couldn't figure out what it was supposed to be and why it was so sloppy. Then I found out.

Beach Bottles.jpg

I don't know who built it or drank all that wine. But I bet he knows.

Sea Gull.JPG

Back