Search results

1. UMan101

Properly shutting down a tank?

Hey guys, Just about done selling off all the livestock in my tank. Getting close to shutting the tank down. I'm worried that when I power it down it'll start to smell (no water flow, algae dying, random die off, etc). It's located in my living room so I want to keep it as smell free and as...
  2. UMan101

Free 2 Ocellaris Clownfish

2 happy, healthy, Clownfish. Male and female. Have had them for 2 years. Shutting down tank need gone asap Pickup in Quincy
  3. UMan101

Clean Up Crew Recommendations

Hi everyone, Looking to order a clean up crew. I don't have anything specific I'm trying to combat so I just want an overall good clean up crew that is reef safe. Any suggestions or recommendations? Links? I have a 55 gallon cube
  4. UMan101

Guard for powerhead?

I'm looking for a foam guard for my jebao pp8 powerheads. I can't find foam guards specific to them. Does anyone know if the available guards for vortechs would fit them? Or any other alternatives/suggestions? I'm prepping for an anemone purchase (had one jump in my powerhead a long time ago)...
  5. UMan101

Best blenny for algae

Hi everyone I've read that lawnmower blennys are great with algae. But they look a little too "bland" for my taste. Are there any other blennys that help as much as a lawnmower? (55 gallon, with corals) Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
  6. UMan101

Anemone hitchhiker

Hi guys, Moved a rock today and discovered two hitchhikers. I believe they're anemones but I'm unsure of what type they are. Anyone have any ideas? Is it a "bad" anemone to have? How big do these get? Apologies for the bad picture Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
  7. UMan101

Purple Algae id?

Anyone able to tell me what this is? If it's good or bad? I'm guessing it's some type of algae. It's dark purple, came on a coral attached to rock, and is spreading to my liverock Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
  8. UMan101

Fish bullying solutions

I added a blue hippo tang as the last fish to my tank just to ensure he wouldn't bully anyone. Unfortunately, I had a wrasse jump out while my screen was off for maintenance (lesson learned). I now have a new wrasse arriving on Tuesday. So now I fear he may get bullied as tangs aren't the most...
  9. UMan101

Brown String like Algae ID?

Starting to see a brown string like type of algae. Seems to be spreading fairly quickly. Anyone able to id this for me? Suggestions on how to combat it? Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
  10. UMan101

Cleaning algae with razor?

I've been looking around online on how to clean algae at the bottom of the glass near the sand bed. My magnet isn't removing it and tends to kick up the sand when too close. I read some suggestions on using a razor blade. Will a straight razor scratch my tank glass? I have starfire glass. If...
  11. UMan101

Coral IDs

Hoping you guys can give me the names of these corals: Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
  12. UMan101

Max livestock?

What is the max number of fish/critters combined I can have? I'm at my fish limit already but wondering about maybe adding a fire shrimp. I have a 50 gallon cube with the following: Fish- Ocellaris Clownfish male Ocellaris Clownfish female Yellow watchman goby Green Mandarin Tang (temporary)...
  13. UMan101

PH buffer closed corals

I like to post my noob mistakes for others to learn from and not have to go through what I did. It's the best way I can contribute until I'm a seasoned vet like others on the forums. Heres today's lesson: I bought kent ph buffer when I started out in the hobby. Today I noticed my ph was a...
  14. UMan101

Coral Glue Recommendations?

Woke up to find 3 of my corals knocked over. Crabs were probably having a rave last night haha. Time to get some glue. Any recommendations? Ideally I would like something that isn't permanent in case I ever have to move corals around Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
  15. UMan101

Yellowtail blue damsel safe?

Are yellowtail blue damselfish safe to have with other fish? Before purchasing I read that they were just somewhat territorial. Tonight I was reading through some forums and seems like a lot of people have had bad experiences with them. So now I'm having second thoughts on my addition Here's...
  16. UMan101

Alternatives to anemones for clowns

Hi everyone, I'm trying to avoid getting an anemone (lost last one to powerhead unfortunately). So I've been researching online and it seems clownfish will host even corals. So far I've seen lots of people having success with torch and hammer corals Does anyone have any recommendations or...
  17. UMan101

First Worm Sighting

Was just about to go to bed when I walked by my tank and something caught my eye. Looks like I have my first worm sighting Anyone able to tell me what kind of worm this is? Is it safe or do I need to get rid of him? Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
  18. UMan101

Newbie lessons

There's no way I would be where I am with my tank without the BRS forum. I learn pretty much everything from here so I'm hoping I can help some other noobs as well. A couple lessons I've learned in my young experience: Have a backup power source/backup battery operated powerheads: Last night...
  19. UMan101

Copepods for mandarin

My tank is still young but I want to start prepping for a mandarin (I won't buy it for a good while). I was told it takes quite a long time to establish a good population of pods so the sooner I start the better Can anyone link me to or recommend some pods that I can purchase to start with? In...
  20. UMan101

Anemone chopped up

Blah sad day. Pretty sure my anemone let go of his rock last night while I was asleep. Found some pieces stuck to the power head in the morning and the rest of him seems to be missing. Looked around the rocks too but no luck. I'm assuming he flew into the power head because of the flow and got...
Back