2014 BRS Annual Auction Saturday April 5th

My only regret is I spent big bucks on two polyps of zoanthids (30 bucks per polyp), and then John bought twelve of the same dang polyps for just over 8 bucks per polyp. If I had only known. :crushed: :biggrin-new:

They'll be twelve polyps in no time :D

Thank you to all that participate. This is the first of about three postings.

DISCLAIMER-I APPOLIGIZE NOW IF I HAPPEN TO MISS SOMEONE.

Greetings, I would like to take this time to bring everyone up to speed with some metrics of the 2014 BRS Auction. But before doing that I have more pertinent business to handle.

I would like to start off by thanking all the volunteers and the BOD for putting this event together. This event took more than 500 man hours to bring it to a satisfactory conclusion. There were some modifications that we made to this event and those changes seem to make a major difference. Although we had some minor glitches through the day. All in all the auction was a huge success.

The actual planning for the auction starts in January with the picking of a date at a venue that is centrally located to our membership base. After that date is picked we look for a chairperson to spearhead the event. This is a task that should not be taken too lightly and I would like to thank Michelle/cstmpprl for stepping up and handling that task again this year (Great Job!). This task usually encompasses engaging our membership for donations and coordinating the pickup and holding of said donations, which starts about two months before the actual auction date.

The auction “EYE CANDY” thread. Danny/dannyp02908 did a terrific job trying to keep this thread updated with all the pictures of the donations coming in. You really have to admit that some of these pictures were like staring into a bakery shop window. I know my mouth was drooling in anticipation.

I do feel I have to mention Brian/BDaley for really stepping up and helping out with this task. I would bet that he must have traveled over 450 miles throughout New England taking on this task (Awesome Job and motivation). There were others as well that helped in the task of accumilating all of the auction items as well. Anthony/Jamesdong009,

We also took on a new approach this year of asking more than one person to be auctioneer. Let’s face it, it is hard for just one person to stand up and talk for a period of 4-5 hours rapping off numbers. We started off with Joe/Scavedog, Mike/mnavick to Bill/Reefandclimb who all did an excellent job! I k now I personally appreciate Joe giving some perspective on the history of the club being as having been a past President. We did have a couple of others that when asked to be auctioneers stood right up and said yes. We may not have gotten to use them or issues may have arisen that they were not able to attend, but I feel they should be mentioned anyways. Just for stepping up when tapped by the club: Moe/MoeK, Chris/Turbosnail, Dave/afboundguy.

So the big day arrives and we are only reaching the start of the event. These members were at the hall early setting up the chairs and tables, labeling all the auction items and staging them, making last minute changes and controlling the flow of items in an orderly manner to the pickup area. . Awesome team work as we had an additional 60 donations that arrived at the door and about 40 edits to the database before we could get things started. Rebecca/capslock, Kristy/Kristync, Brian/BrianMac, Joe/Phinpan, Barbara/GobyWanKenobie, Chris/Cilyjr, Dan/Mr.X and /daughterX and Dong/dz6t.

I was very happy being able to get away from the laptop about 1-2 hrs into the auction to mingle a little bit and talk to everyone. Dan/Mr.X and daugherX thank you.

I really cannot forget the rest of the BOD as well. Jason/jason401, Nicole/Nicole79, Higor/Higorc and Bob/Wilfx. I cannot forget poor Josh/jdmitch who could not be with us due to back issues. These guys helped organize everything from checking in, signing in new members, managing the runners, cash-out area and pick up tables.

Let's not forget those young reefers that helped out as well. There were about five or six young gentlemen that helped Jason/jason401 at the stating area. For their age these guys did a great job running the items down the end to the stating area. You have to grow the farm team for the next generation of reefers. Thanks guys.

That was some beautiful team work getting everything consolidated and packed up and out to the vehicles to get out of the hall on Saturday.

Most of all I cannot forget all the great members of the club who stepped up and donated. Without these great people who have a passion for the hobby we could not have benefited. (I will mention these people in the next post).

I personally cannot thank everyone here enough. I am the hardest on myself between second guessing, being a control freak and most of all just wanting everyone to have a terrific experience with the club and this event over all. I am a firm believer that a commander is only as good as the troops he leads. I want to thank you all for having my back.

I'll second that and thanks to the club as a whole. It always has been a great event.

It was a blast to be part of this and felt good being part of a club again and I hope to serve the club in the future.

I had an awesome time Chris, I love helping out the club in any way. As a first timer, i thought it was a great turnout and was exciting the entire time. Can't wait to help out at future events!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Right on Chris, you hit the nail on the head. So long as I'm still local, you can count on me for whatever you need next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, I had a great time from the beginning to the end. I thought it was extremely well done, and I was impressed with your sense of calm during moments of chasos. I look forward to next year, and I hope I can volunteer again.

Had a great time as well and already looking forward to 2015's auction :)

Thank you-Donors/Bidders, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Thank you.jpg

I would like to take this time and thank all the donors and bidders that participated in this year’s auction. This year was very successful in regards to donations and bids that came in. Our donors donated a total of 361 items that brought in enough money to keep the club going through the next twelve months with financial security.

I cannot thank you all enough on behalf of the club in regards to your generosity and engagement. I have included a list of our top ten donors and top ten bidders (listed in no special order). I have also included all donors as they should all be recognized for their making this event possible for the benefit of the club.

Top Ten Donors by Qty of Frags:

1) Jamesdong009
2) Bdaley
3) Greg Hiller
4) Cstmpprl
5) Higor
6) Matt
7) Ocean Explorium
8) Frankreef180
9) Turbosnail
10) Moose
-------------------------------------------------------------

Top Ten Bidders by Dollar Amount (including corals and equipment with no dollar totals shown)

1) jamesdong009
2) ChrisBendtson
3) Chriskid
4) sshorem
5) moose
6) puff daddy
7) Bdaley
8) MarshallO
9) Fish123
10) MoeK
------------------------------------------------------------

All donors

JAMESDONG009
YARIEL0527
GREG HILLER
BDALEY
Mike A
HIGORC
ULTRA CORALS
DZ6T
Matt
CHRISSY
MOOSE
CSTMPPRL
GSXR750
FRANK180REEF
TURBOSNAIL
ELMAFIOSO52988
OCEANS EXPLORIUM
HUUTA
CHRISKID
PSU4ME
SUTTOM
BRS
DEANBURCHELL
JT628
CAPSLOCK
CILYJR
MNAVICK
NICOLE79
GLENN E KING
ANTHONYP
JOESCAVO
SALTY OLD DOG
ALBERT THIEL
JOKERSPLAYGROUND
TJBELL
SKIMMEDOUT
NEW2SALTYFISH
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Just some metrics

Actual auction time noon-5:20pm (5hrs, 20min)
361 Items were donated
Over 100 people attended the auction
61 Members were assigned paddles to bid
313 Coral Donations
28 Equipment Items
20 Livestock
24 Donors
More bidders paid by charge card than Paypal or cash

I want to thank everyone that shot me a PM in regards to comments on the auction. I will be keeping these in mind when editing the process and procedure for next years auction.

Again, thank you everyone,

Chris

my buddy Chris, the CTARS prez, was the 3rd highest spender. lol, typical Chris. But VERY cool of him to support BRS like that ;)

my buddy Chris, the CTARS prez, was the 3rd highest spender. lol, typical Chris. But VERY cool of him to support BRS like that ;)

FYI-I have included a list of our top ten donors and top ten bidders (listed in no special order). Just want to be clear.

This does not deminish he donation and purchases made. Thank you and good meeting you.

Oh! I stand corrected, my apoligies! I'm an idiot, lol

Either way I heard great things, I will definately try and attend next year.

Kudos to the organizers for a great event from all the feedback is heard ;)

Back