Advice please

Chrisnnemo

Non-member
I have two oscellaris clownfish, 5yrs old. How will they do if I ad 2 black ice ocelleris and a blue yellow fin damsel?

I think the new clowns will get a swift dose of territorial rage, may result in some dead fish?? I don't know from experience but I've read many a bad case..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

If you have a 6 foot long tank you could get away with it.
Put the established clowns on one far corner and the others on the other. I’d have two anemones on each side as well so they stay put.

It’s a 55gl. Lol yikes. So I can’t add any fish till my “old” fish are gone?! Or just clowns? Thanks btw guys. New here. I love it here... super cool site

Also I recently moved. Switched from a 30gl hex to a regular 55gl. Would that help with a transition? Sounds like with the reply’s it’s going to be a coin toss

I won 2 small percs (clowns) at a BRS meeting last year to an established tank with 2 larger ocerlaris. The other 2 bullied the new ones. One died within a month from the bullying, the other jumped out of the tank once, was forced over the overflow into the sump... but is still around now almost a year later. So from my personal expience it is a 50/50. That will really only affect clowns.

Typically in smaller tanks like a 55 you can’t get more than 1-2 of the same species. And with 55 gallons if you have any sort of rock work that impedes swimming I would stay away from Tangs (maybe a Kole eye tang if you get it small)

What is your current live stock and what are you looking to get?

Damsels can be territorial. I have a small blue one which is a model citizen and a larger black one with a white spot and he is a jerk to anything around his size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks aresangel. I only have the two small percs. I got them for my son when I set up the tank for a present 6 yrs ago. I’ll run it by him if he wants to take the coin toss. Lol if I don’t get his input I’ll never hear the end of it and I’m sure he’ll be talking about the massacre when he’s 40. I’m just looking to make the 55gl not look so empty. Not really attached to anything in particular, just seen a good deal on a couple clowns w/ a bta and some live rock.

your biggest problem is adding another type of clown to the tank. That doesn't mean you can't add other fish. I think the Yellow Tail damsel will work, blennies are cool fish that can hold its own,gobies are peaceful and shouldn't bother anybody perhaps a wrasse or two. If you use an acclamation box for the new fish it will give everyone a chance to meet in a safe environment. If there is any aggression it may diminish after a day or two. Good luck

I added a maroon clown once to a 75 gallon with 2 native ocellaris and the maroons are notoriously aggressive. The maroon had to be removed or the 2 clowns would have killed it....should say just the female would have. I can't even put my hand in the tank without getting bit

When adding the new clowns or any other new fish, place the biggest mirrow you can buy. I have one that is 12 x 12 " and tape it to the side of the tank. In your case nearby the territory of the old clown fish. Now they will have to worry of 4 new additions :). Their reflection and the real 2 new guys. Leave it there for 3 days or a week.

I did that with all my fish. Concerning clowns.... I can't warranty anything. But that is what I will be doing.

Best !!!

With that tank size. I would only do a pair of clowns. No matter how you introduce them, it will not work out for the long term.

Back