please give advice and input

newfish

newfish
I was in the hobby 10yrs ago. The other day my cousin gave me a 55gl tank and odyssea 2x250 mh fixture. ive decided on going hob equipment. i just got a new eshopps psk-75h and three bags of live sand today. Is 3 bags enough? What else do i need to get this system up and running?

The guy at the local store when I bought the salt told me all I needed was a protein skimmer? I thought I needed a canister filter also ? I now have the three bags in tank with water, protein skimmer, and a powerhead going in the tank. I know I still need to buy a heater but I wasn't sure if I would need one with the heat the 2x250mh will produce?

Not many people us canister filter on a reef tank. The main filtration comes from a protein skimmer, live rocks, and live sand.

The only thing you absolutely need is a heater. unless you live in a sauna. A protein skimmer would be next. Forget the canister filter and don't let the LFS talk you into all sorts of silly things. You can spend $50,000.00 for a guppy tank if you wanted to but there is no need.

ok cool,so no canister filter so all I need is a heater, test kits,and live rock I will get I few pieces of live rock,test kits and heater Friday. unless I find deal on them sooner..thank you all for the input

An in tank thermometer , dont trust your heater to be accurate,.what corals are you going to keep? When your ready depending on you coral selection you may need some more flow from an additional power head

An in tank thermometer , dont trust your heater to be accurate,.what corals are you going to keep? When your ready depending on you coral selection you may need some more flow from an additional power head

Bill is right get yourself a $3.00 glass thermometer. They never lie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I got thermometer today. Friday I am hoping to get live rock and heater. I want to do easy coral like zoas,brains,acans no acros or anything like that....so if I put a few reef safe fish in with the corals I don't need canister filter?

Many reefers use a "canister filter". We just call them reactors now. They're not needed but are useful if you choose to run carbon, gfo, or some other media.

With a pair of 250 halides the most important piece of equipment might be a couple of fans...

If your planning on tap water to mix your salt i would add a reactor for phosphate to help keep algae in check. I had a three compartment canister filter on a 55 years ago, it worked but was kind of a pain when it came to cleaning and changing media.for those corals yo dont need alot of flow. So you should be good. A HOB refugium would also be beneficial.

Yes I'm considering a HOB refugium
I have had the tank set up with skimmer,powerhead for about 5 days now with led lights for now till my 250W MH bulbs come in. I added very little live rock from Lfs but I think I'm going to run into a heat issue seen as the temp in tank is at a steady 76 degrees

Back