And so it begins: Scavdog's quest for consolidation

scavdog

Staff member
Officer
BRS Member
As some of you know, I have been planning to break down my fish room to accommodate for one large tank as opposed to the current setup of 6 tanks.

20070123-livestock2.jpg

The goal:
Approximately 375 gallons of reef-a-liscious goodness in the form of 84"x36"x30" low iron glass. The tank will be viewable from the front and right side and will incorporate a return manifold with at least 6 outlets as well as a wave making device (wavebox or surge). I also intend to surface skim 2/3 of the length of the tank (ie. One long@ss overflow). The additional space I gain by setting up this behemouth will be transformed into a nicely finished bar/entertainment area.

Step 1: The transition

At this point, 6 tanks worth of stock will need to be relocated so that I am able to dismantle the fish room and start accommodating for the 375. In order to do this I am setting up a 180 gallon temporary system on the facing wall to hold all the marine and reef critters.

20070123-livestock.jpg

Because the 180 in question has some fairly serious scratches on the front, I have chosen to position this tank backwards (overflows facing front). I actually really like the idea of setting up the tank this way because I will really be able to keep the rock-work tight to the back wall. I will most likely trim out the overflows with smoked acrylic or black plastic to give the tank a clean look. In the grand scheme of things, this tank will be running no more than 6-8 months before I get hold of the 375. Then again, I have been known to procrastinate.

20070123-tank.jpg

The 180 goods
Lighting: 3 x 400 watt diamond luminarcs with 4 x 6' VHO actinics
Return: Dolphin Ampmaster 4700 utilizing a manifold system
Skimmer: DIY becket

20070123-diagram.jpg

I figure that there is plenty of time to tweak and plan. This thread will hopefully serve as a blog of my progress. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

-Joe

Yipeee!! You're finally doing it. Can't wait to see the progress and finished product. Let me know if I can help at all. Good luck Joe.

Joe, shouldnt you have more cross -support on that stand? The middle of the tank looks to be totally unsupported.
M.

Just about time :D
Now we can have a race, you and me :D
Lets see who is gonna finish the basement first....

wow Joe about timeif you need any help on a TEMP space for someof the stuff.. if the 240 is up and running you are welcome to it ;)

Joe, shouldnt you have more cross -support on that stand? The middle of the tank looks to be totally unsupported.
M.

Fish store in Tennessee where I used to live would suspend 180 gallon tanks on two side pillars, having the entire middle unsupported. They'd be doing it for years.

Fish store in Tennessee where I used to live would suspend 180 gallon tanks on two side pillars, having the entire middle unsupported. They'd be doing it for years.

Yeah, but older 180s used much thicker glass than the one he has (notice cross braces?)

Sorry for the lag in the updates. I work slooow. :p

I am really digging the industrial look and feel to the tank. Not caring to much about the fit and finish and more about the functionality has allowed me to traverse from the beaten path and try some different things. It is, of course, a temporary system. The 375... well that will be a whole different story... :p

20070304-plumb-1.jpg

So I finally got around to finishing my manifold. After a bit of debate, I decided to "T" off the pump and feed into the manifold from either end (thx Mark ). The idea is to maintain equal pressure as well as stabilize the plumbing. The pump is an ampmaster 4700. This thing is going to be scary. I am definitely going to have to modify the overflows to handle the turnover rate.

20070304-plumb-2.jpg

20070304-plumb-3.jpg

I collected 200 gallons of NSW today and hope to fire this monster up before mid-week. I just need to add the loc-line and I am in good shape.

Last edited:
How long have you been hanging on to those bags of southdown?

I knew the Southdown cameo would bring in a comment. I just took a few bags off the pallet in the garage. You know...you can never have enough cheap sand.

JK ;)

Joe

Sand is in and loc-line is in place :) .

loc-line.jpg

Can you say F L O W ?

loc-line-2.jpg

I wish there were more hours in a day or it would be filled and pressure tested. After a weekend at NERAC, I should be ready to go the first of the week. Who knows, maybe I'll win something to add to the system at the raffle :rolleyes:

joe, why do you have the overflow boxes facing the front of the tank? Just curious...
Already mentioned ;)
The Scavman said:
Because the 180 in question has some fairly serious scratches on the front, I have chosen to position this tank backwards (overflows facing front). I actually really like the idea of setting up the tank this way because I will really be able to keep the rock-work tight to the back wall.

Carlo,

The tank has a lot of very fine scratches from the previous owner. Being a temporary tank, I have no problem keeping it backwards. I actually like the idea. In addition, it should hide the wavebox nicely.

Joe

"As some of you know, I have been planning to break down my fish room to accommodate for one large tank as opposed to the current setup of 6 tanks."

Joe, this is the beggining stages OCD we spoke of?:eek: :D

Back