And so it begins: Scavdog's quest for consolidation

Joe, congrats on getting that new system up and running. I really like the idea on the 180 with the manifold and the lockline. I would love to do something like that but with my 4 penductors pointing towards the rockwork instead of the front glass.

So I finished the drains. Thanks to my canon malfunctioning, I can't show you pics. I also tried to fill it, but fell short like 40 gallons. ...just one of those days... I will collect on the next good tide and get down to business. Then again, maybe I will make some up.

At any rate I was able to get a preview of the ampmaster 4700. It drained the sump in no time flat. :) More to come tomorrow.

-Joe

Last edited:
yea, the cellphone could work I guess. Man, I am pissed about that canon. I know its premature and maybe ignorant on my part, but I may jump back into Nikon.

Considering that it was St. Patricks Day weekend, odds were against progress. For once I beat the odds ;) . In addition I manage to get my camera working. Thank you God!

After making up enough water to fill this beast, the system is up and running. The plumbing is tight (knock on wood). PVC glue is your friend.

At this point, I have the manifold throttled back a quarter turn and the drains seem to be having no problem keeping up. The only issue is with the overflow boxes themselves, which I anticipated would not be able to deal with the high turnover rate. Once I modify the overflow teeth I should be able to throttle it up completely.

filled-1.jpg

filled-2.jpg

Now that the camera works, here is a video of the system running. Most of the noise in the recording is from the rest of the fish room. This system seems remarkably quiet, all things considered.

http://reef.scavdog.com/video/180.wmv

I was also able to get my lighting rig pretty well taken care of tonight. A little aluminum tube stock, a few screws, nuts and rivets along with a black & tan and VOILA! :
lighting.jpg

This should work nicely. I hope to refit this for the 375 when the time comes.

With that in mind: I'm looking for a dual or triple 400 watt hqi ballast if anyone has one lying around.

-Joe

Great progress Joe, how does that pump intake work? I have not seen this.

Thx :)

It works on a siphon principal. However, I really don't like relying on in. Following the livestock swap-over, I hope to incorporate my 75 gallon baffled sump and do away with the u-tube all together.

That is a pretty sweet setup. The engineer in me loves the plumbing of the return mainfold. The flow must be nuts. Excited to see the progress...

-Brian

I just saw your video what is that on the skimmer on top of the riser tube.

Joe,
Thanks for ignoring my last post :) How do you like the manifold? Is it what you thought it would be?

Back