BRS Annual propagation workshop at Greg's

Moe_K

Stabbed by Foulke
Hi,

Just wanted to post a heads up here. For the past few years Greg Hiller and his family have agreed to host a coral propagation workshop in their home. This year the Hillers have generously agreed to do it again.
Because it's done in the home, we have to limit the amount of people who can attend. The workshop is very much geared for newbies to keeping coral. If you dont know how to frag and propagate coral, this is an excellent opportunity to learn how. Greg teaches how to frag the different types of corals we keep. He also provides a great opportunity for Q&A. All this is done while his wife prepares tons of great food. Each participant leaves the house with a new frag to help fill out their reef and a very full stomach ;).
There is a nominal fee to attend, but every year there is a clamor to be one of the lucky ones who get to go.

So...
Later this month I will post a sign up thread for this event. Keep an eye out for it. The first ten people to reply will get to go. One person per household only - no spouses nor kids, sorry. Please keep in mind the workshop is geared for those new to propagation. If you've attended previously, then you can't attend this year's event.
The workshop is slated for the evening of 11Jun2004. Greg lives in Wakefield, MA.

Last edited:
Can we have a different way of selecting the attendants? Not everyone can be online all day to check the thread posting.

As a suggestion, we can include this "Propagation Workshot Seat" in the raffle during the meeting. It would also help the club to raise funds.

If you can think of a better way, I'd listen. There's no way to make everyone happy - believe me, I've tried the past 3 times this has been done.
I know not everyone can be online all day. That's why I put up this anouncement letting people know it will happen. An announcement to watch the BB will also go out via email.
Your suggestion is okay, but runs into the same problem - not everyone can attend the meeting. Also, I don't want to further monetize the seats at the workshop. We're already asking an attendence fee.

Just a note; if you're already propagating coral, then you should ask yourself if you really should take a spot at this workshop.

I imagine this was already thought of, but the seminar would make a nice segment for Reef TV! (then we could restrict attendance to those of us who don't have cable! :D)

by the way, how "nominal" is the attendance fee?

Nate

I went last year, it was a really nice presentation. And greg's wife put on a feast. I think my reply to attending came about 1 nanosecond after Moe posted the thread last year LOL

Moe,

how about the attendance fee plus $5.00 for the club post it today as a raffle to be done at the up coming meeting it gives everybody who wants to go enought notice to come to meeting or have some they know get tickets for them the only problem i see with this plan that they need to ask someone they i can trust to be honest with the tickets i think this gives everybody a fair chance at it as for me i never know when i can be on the site & there are people who sit at a computer all day

So , i think a raffle is the fair way to do it ,if you post it on both sites today

NateHanson said:
I imagine this was already thought of, but the seminar would make a nice segment for Reef TV! (then we could restrict attendance to those of us who don't have cable! :D)

by the way, how "nominal" is the attendance fee?

Nate
Ten bucks. Helps cover the hosts' cost of food - and there's always tons of great food to eat. Don't forget attendees walk out with a mounted frag.

My green tree (?) from the workshop has fragged itself. The main piece was connected to rubble, which "fell" off of rock work. The coral stretched & eventually left a frag on the rockwork & the rest stayed on the original pice -which I moved to a new area

The only other fair way I could think of would be picking names of interested people out of a "hat" (or fishbowl). Everyone post in a thread that is interested, & pick from there

*Note* Since I have already attended I won't be attending, but watch out for that Noobie guy ;)

littlep93056 said:
see what i mean scuba dave is always on & so are others so thats not fair to people like me a raffle would be

I understand. If we do it raffle style at a meeting, then only those at the meeting get to go. That might work for you, Mike, but there's a whole different group that'll feel the process is unfair. Basically, there is no way to please everyone. I'm going to let people know which day we'll be doing the first-come-first-serve sign up post. All you'd have to do is watch the board that day.
Don't worry about Scuba Dave. He went to the workshop before, so he can't go again. :p

BTW: if you really want to attend, make sure you can make the date and time.

that's a pretty good idea that dave gives. take all the people who say they want to attend (and of course have to be eligible) then pick 10 out of a hat. sounds fair to me. even though if we kept doing it the way it's been done the past couple years i would probably be in. haha :)

Dave's idea might be simplest and most fair. Give everyone who's interested a few days or a week to sign up for a lottery on a thread posted here, and then after the ending date the almighty Moe draws 10 names from a fishbowl. Just my 2c.

Hat deal sounds like too much work. ;P
The deal is the first 10 to respond. Just like the past 3 years.
Watch the board on the day in question - I'll even give a time range.

moe lots of people can not be on this site even if you give the time you we post it for what ever reason the hat draw is the best way

so why don't we put it to a vote on how it should be done

if the hat thing is too much work...this will be even more work. but i'm ok with anything. on the boards, meeting, or hat. whatever.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back