Electrical Outlet Issue - none near my aquarium

Jokes

Non-member
I live in a fairly small house. My options for where I can put my aquarium are limited. The only spot I can really put my aquarium doesn't have an electrical outlet near it. I've read several things on google saying that extension cords are for temporary use. I'm renting so I don't have the option of installing a wall outlet. Is there another safe solution? Or a safe extension cord that can be used to get an outlet closer to my aquarium?

You will probably want a large gauge 3 prong extension cord. calculate the total load that the tank will draw and look online for a wire gauge calculator to figure out what gauge extension cord you need.

Everywhere I've read says that extension cords are for temporary use. But if I find the right extension cord do you think it would be a safe permanent option? And is there anything else I can do to make it more safe?

You will probably want a large gauge 3 prong extension cord. calculate the total load that the tank will draw and look online for a wire gauge calculator to figure out what gauge extension cord you need.

i almost burned my house down running extension cords and surge protectors i wouldnt do it for very long see if u can get an electricion come and run u a line

That's what I'm worried about. But I'm renting and I really don't think I have the option of having an outlet put in. I was thinking of getting a heavy duty thick gauged extension. You don't think that would be safe?? I really have zero options on where else to move the aquarium.

i almost burned my house down running extension cords and surge protectors i wouldnt do it for very long see if u can get an electricion come and run u a line

This. Wire is wire whether it is behind a wall in or in a cord. Either way it needs to be rated for the load.

if you go the extension cord route the other thing you may want to do is check the ground and install a quality outlet in the wall.
A cheap outlet will be your weak link and is where most problems will occur.

you could ask an electrician to install a junction box instead of the outlet (there are some which are the same size) and then run the wire on the wall through conduit. The main issue is the contact points in the outlet, the more you draw the hotter they get, the increased resistance lowers the voltage and increases the drawn current, vicious circle. As long as you don't go over 15amps I would not worry too much about it though. Just make sure the wire to the outlet is not a "knob and tube" type and that particular circuit can support the load. About the only reliable way to do that would be to ask your landlord.

You want an extension cord with a GFI (ground fault interrupter) built into it, not a circuit breaker. If the landlord has an electrician install a plug, make sure it has a GFI on it.

Last edited:
Ro_nicu thanks for responding. But everything you just said to me totally went over my head. Lol

you could ask an electrician to install a junction box instead of the outlet (there are some which are the same size) and then run the wire on the wall through conduit. The main issue is the contact points in the outlet, the more you draw the hotter they get, the increased resistance lowers the voltage and increases the drawn current, vicious circle. As long as you don't go over 15amps I would not worry too much about it though. Just make sure the wire to the outlet is not a "knob and tube" type and that particular circuit can support the load. About the only reliable way to do that would be to ask your landlord.

What ro nicu said is the correct way to do it. Save for going in the wall and adding a new circuit. Why don't you ask your landlord if it would be ok to bring an approved electrician in to add a circuit. He may have no issue with it. Make sure it is a gfci outlet installed.

I'm not familiar with either of those products. But some things to consider are the quality of the connections on both the male and female end. Also, extension cords are made with stranded wire where as an installed circuit uses solid core. There is a reason extension cords are temp.

I wouldn't run an extension cord permanent to run a tank you will then run multi taps and surge protectors from there sounds like the old Christmas light fire hazard to me coming from an electrician have an outlet put in and pay for it unless your landlord is willing good luck

Zach,
Do you think it would be safe to surge protectors or reefkeeper power bar off of something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000E12ADA/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1395194167&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

I wouldn't run an extension cord permanent to run a tank you will then run multi taps and surge protectors from there sounds like the old Christmas light fire hazard to me coming from an electrician have an outlet put in and pay for it unless your landlord is willing good luck

At 17 bucks, I wouldn't trust it long term. Figure this. That device plugs into a stand receptacle and turns it to 5. The insides of that device are likely not very high end. I mean maybe for plugging in a lamp and a couple cell phone chargers but for an aquarium I would just say no.

Back