electrical under aquarium

mbian112283

Non-member
I just purchased a reefkeeper lite controller and waiting on my dosing pump to be delivered. I was trying to figure how I wanted to place everything. I am limited to the space under aquarium and currently have my two surge bars and controller boxes for my wave maker and ato mounted to the outside of the stand using velco.

My thought are to move everything into the stand use velcro for mounting and easy removal and mount the three controller boxes to the door of the stand so when I open it I can see them all.

My big question is I have a sump so would the moisture or possible lyrics the random splash effect the equipment. I was contemplating putting a little shelf so my doing pump can sit and maybe mount the surge bars upside down.

Just a FYI I have it all plugged into gfci outlet

Any advise would be greatly appreciated and pictures of setups might give me a few ideas

I used the adhesive backed velco squares from the hardware to mount my pH meter to the inside of my cabinet it would last about a month and fall off, the velco would hold it was the adhesive would let go of the wood cabinet sides. The pH monitor was just a light Pinpoint unit, I used the 1 inch squares. Watch if it falls that it will not land in the sump.

Jim

I will definitely go overkill on the size of velcro but hearing that it didn't stick I wonder if I use a little superglue to make it hold better

Excessive moisture can have a long term negative effect on electronics. The apex states this in the user manual.

Excessive moisture can have a long term negative effect on electronics. The apex states this in the user manual.

Second that ^.

Moisture, and particularly the salty moisture that our tanks emit can wreak havoc on anything electrical. Salt isn't supposed to evaporate, but ever notice that everything near the tank gets rusty real fast...

Second that ^.

Moisture, and particularly the salty moisture that our tanks emit can wreak havoc on anything electrical. Salt isn't supposed to evaporate, but ever notice that everything near the tank gets rusty real fast...

Ok so I guess inside stand isn't a good idea. What do you guys do?

I wonder if everything get rusty not from the salt but the pH of the moisture. Just a guess

I use a industrial velcro they sell at any arts and crafts stores. Like others have said, I avoided keeping my controllers inside the stand and I have them on a flat piece of board behind the tank no there's no moister at all

I use a industrial velcro they sell at any arts and crafts stores. Like others have said, I avoided keeping my controllers inside the stand and I have them on a flat piece of board behind the tank no there's no moister at all

What about surge bars?

I use the Velcro also, but I add 3M double sided tap to secure it as that stuff does not weaken. If you can I would put the electronics on the outside of the stand. I have seen people mount them on the back of the stand, or even the wall next to the tank.

Wouldn't the power strips be effected by the moisture as well with the risk of fire if it rusts out bad?
Yes. They would, but I have nowhere else to put them.
Also, I use a chiller now and don't use fans. Last year I had a fan in the sump and main tank. The fan in the sump generated a lot of humidity, but all that is gone now.

My next project is to build a small wooden box that looks like a fuse box and place it on the side of the aquarium. This will hold all the electrical.

You can also replace the power strips every year after summer. They are cheap.

What about surge bars?

All of my electrical components are outside of the stand screwed or with velcro onto a wood panel behind the stand. The only part inside the stand is just the front face with the switches of a DJ power strip bar.

Nothing else pictures ideas? I figoured everyone would have some sort of opinion on this other then moisture is bad for electronics. What a surprise

.....My big question is I have a sump so would the moisture or possible lyrics the random splash effect the equipment. ....

Nothing else pictures ideas? I figoured everyone would have some sort of opinion on this other then moisture is bad for electronics. What a surprise

I can't possibly imagine why people would have focused on the moisture problem???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My point is moisture is pretty obvious, and thats all the advice, opinions or ideas I got. Why post a question to hear the obvious?

When I built my stand I also made a matching table that houses all my electrical and my dj8 switch bar was also built in. As an added bonus it give you a place to store dry good you use frequently and a place to set stuff when you are working on the tank. I created a 3x3 cutout hole in the back R side of the stand for all the plugs to come out. I attached strips of sliced rubber to creat a outer door iver the hole to block any light from comming out of the plug hole. Not sure if this is possibly for you or not.

When I built my stand I also made a matching table that houses all my electrical and my dj8 switch bar was also built in. As an added bonus it give you a place to store dry good you use frequently and a place to set stuff when you are working on the tank. I created a 3x3 cutout hole in the back R side of the stand for all the plugs to come out. I attached strips of sliced rubber to creat a outer door iver the hole to block any light from comming out of the plug hole. Not sure if this is possibly for you or not.

I can't build a stand but have my eye on a bookshelf with doors on the bottom which matches my stand pretty good.

Back