Gauging Interest-Magnesium Chloride Pooled Order

Status
Not open for further replies.
i may want in but i have a question.... how much is it going to be and where do we pick it up from?

ltelus said:
Bob if you can swing by my place i'm sure i can get it here.

i work for adelphia so i am in abington all the time so i could pick up for me and bob....?

scott

jebar777 said:
i may want in but i have a question.... how much is it going to be and where do we pick it up from?

Not sure yet, I will post when I do. I promise!

jebar777 said:
is this one of those "the more you buy the more you save" type things?
Well, it's a cheap way to stock up on magnesium. It's just a bulk order of non-brand name supplements.

Okay....a bit of info....I contacted the guy from the company who distributes the MgCl2. The grade we got before was technical=industrial grade, the only grade they sell. It was stressed to me that this grade is NOT the low ammonia grade which they sell direct to the manufacturers of artificial salt mix. However, the specification sheet that I have from the first purchase listed the product as 115,000 ppm Mg, and 5 ppm N (which is likely ammonia). This is a spec, which means that it will be at this level of N, or below. At that level if you added enough of the stuff to boost your tank by 100 ppm Mg, you would only increase ammonia by 5 ppb (as in billion). 5 ppb = 0.005 ppm = (approximately) 0.005 mg/l ammonia (yes, I know I'm not taking into account the 3 for the atomic weight of the three hydrogens!).

The low ammonia grade that they sell is shipped only in cargo containers direct from Israel to the artificial salt manufacturers, so that is not possible to get a hold of.

Anyhow, the take home message is that for dosing a tank the technical/industrial grade should not have any significant amount of ammonia in it, which is what I found when I tested the material the first time around. When the stuff comes in this time I will test it again for ammonia. All the bags will be from the same lot (per the distributor), so one test will 'clear' them all. In the worst case, if it did have some ammonia in it, you would just have to add it slowly, and your biological filtration would take care of it without a problem.

Also, it DOES appear that we will ONLY be able to purchase in lots of 40 bags. This means 40, 80, 120, or as high as you want. The price for shipping will likely be the same for all, so it will decrease significantly per bag the higher we go. I know a lot of folks around the country want this stuff, but I frankly am not particularly interested in packing up and shipping it to them one salt bucket at a time (only my buddies like Sanjay). I am getting a shipping quote to Wilmington, MA, but if anybody wants to make a trip to NJ and make a buck hauling the stuff back please let me know.

Remember that after this stuff comes it is HIGHLY recommended that within a few weeks you repack it into an old salt bucket. If not it will slowly become a sloppy mess. This stuff, even with shipping, will likley be about the price of ice melt stuff you pick up at the hardware store, so if in doubt purchase some more and maybe we can get up to 80 bags. You can always use it to melt snow....and you know the snow is coming!

3 Phreef
1 robilium
2 ltelus
1 Kevin McG
1 nhbloke (maybe 2)
2 delta
1 NeO
2 reefdude
1 Ray (maybe 2)
3 Greg Hiller
1 97vmax
5 Skinpuppi
1 nichols41
2 ReeferMedic
1 RobB
3 skyedolphan
1 Shallowwaters
1 howman
1 TOOMANYFISH
1 steevareno
1 Moe_K
1 merk1_99
1 Richard
1 Lunchbucket
1 ladi
2 starrfish

Total: 41 (and 2 maybes)

jebar777- please let me know for sure. I'm not taking maybes at this point. The (maybes) in the list are incase we need more to make the minimum buy. Thanks.

3 Phreef
1 robilium
2 ltelus
1 Kevin McG
1 nhbloke (maybe 2)
2 delta
1 NeO
2 reefdude
1 Ray (maybe 2)
3 Greg Hiller
1 97vmax
5 Skinpuppi
1 nichols41
2 ReeferMedic
1 RobB
3 skyedolphan
1 Shallowwaters
1 howman
1 TOOMANYFISH
1 steevareno
1 Moe_K
1 merk1_99
1 Richard
1 Lunchbucket
1 ladi
2 starrfish
1 JayG
1 rharlow
1 jebar777
1 Troubleman

Total: 45 (and 2 maybes)

Looks like we're going for 80 bags. Tell your friends!

3 Phreef
1 robilium
2 ltelus
1 Kevin McG
1 nhbloke (maybe 2)
2 delta
1 NeO
2 reefdude
1 Ray (maybe 2)
3 Greg Hiller
1 97vmax
5 Skinpuppi