In the beginning (Again)

Night-time on the Mini Reef

Dunk:

DSCF4616.jpg

Krypto:

DSCF4615.jpg

that tank and the lighting is amazing. If you find out what kind of bulb it is, can you please post it here? I am going around in circles figuring out an upgrade for my tank.

that tank and the lighting is amazing. If you find out what kind of bulb it is, can you please post it here? I am going around in circles figuring out an upgrade for my tank.

I will, this is a 150 DE so I cannot speak for this bulb in other configurations tho, & thanks. Hope to know if it is still accessible soon.

I know it is metal hallide, but what is DE? Also, isn't there a K number or something to say how strong or weak it is? I have daylight bulbs and blue bulbs in my fixture, but someone told me that the right bulb in a metal fixture can mix both of them....does this make any sense? Sorry for the new guy questions, I don't mean to take over your thread.

I know it is metal hallide, but what is DE? Also, isn't there a K number or something to say how strong or weak it is? I have daylight bulbs and blue bulbs in my fixture, but someone told me that the right bulb in a metal fixture can mix both of them....does this make any sense? Sorry for the new guy questions, I don't mean to take over your thread.

No prob at all. DE stands for Double Ended, there is also SE which is single ended. The type of set-up you have/build will determine the type of bulb you will use, DE bulbs are usually found in fixtures with a glass shiled. This bulb is a 20K, not normally known for a Bluer color and not a ton of PAR but this one is not as Blue as some 14Ks I have seen and I like it.

sorry, and doesn't the manufacturer of the bulb matter too? Someone here said phoenix bulbs are more blue than usio (sp?) bulbs

sorry, and doesn't the manufacturer of the bulb matter too? Someone here said phoenix bulbs are more blue than usio (sp?) bulbs

Most definitely! The best way to find the bulb you are looking for is to visit some reefers tanks, this bulb is for me is much more pleasant than the Phoenix 14k which many folks like. The amount & type of actinic lighting used will also affect the overall color.

actinic? is that the bulb that is blue in color? where does the blue bulb go in your tank's fixture?

Actinics are usually some shade of Blue. I do not have any actinics on this system due to the fixture hence the 20k bulb for more "color". A 10k bulb would be much more White on it's own. when I ran my 2x250wt 10ks on another tank I supplemented the light with two 96wt Actinic bulbs. Although honestly they did not really punch thru the intensity that 500wts of MH put out, they were more for "moon lighting" if you will when the halides were off.

Funny that you say that Kevin, because the 96W of actinic I run on my tank with 500w of MH makes a huge difference in how the corals 'pop'. Everything looks bleached out if I just run the MH bulbs in my fixture. I run Ushio 14k's, and they are WAY less blue than the 14k phoenix ones I used ti run before I got the Ushios after seeing them on a fixture at CRA.

Since I've now totally hijacked your thread, I will say the progress on your solana is amazing,:) and the tank looks great.

Since I've now totally hijacked your thread,

Hey, we're in the reeftalk forum so I'm cool. I did notice a slight difference (enough to keep them on) just not a huge difference.

Thanks for the compliment Jay.

Few additions of late

Some Rics:
CraRics.jpg

Purple Plasma:
PurplePlasma.jpg

One Fat Male Mandy, actually think he ate some frozen!:
Mand1.jpg

Hey Kevin, looks fantastic.

Do you know the name of that green/red acan you have in the lower right (in the pictures from a month ago)?

I have the same one.

Back