need help asap coral could be dieing!!!!!!

jenreef

Non-member
ok i have been noticing my sps coral starting to turn white and no polyp exention for a few days now i dont think it is rtn, becuase it is has got more white over time. can you guys help me i need to know what is going on. all my other sps are doing fine. i thought it was bleaching so i moved it down and it seems to be doing worse.

here are some pics of the coral.

Attachments

• IMG_2963.jpg
    IMG_2963.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_2965.jpg
    IMG_2965.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_2964.jpg
    IMG_2964.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_2966.jpg
    IMG_2966.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 211
Have you had a heat spike or a sudden change in your Alk? Stability in both are pretty important, especially with SPS.

Since it seems to only be on the bottom in those pictures, i would wait to see if it gets really bad, and then frag off whatever looks fine.

I was under the impression that you would be able to see red bugs

had the same problem to mine, looks like its a stag(sps) i had one for almost 2yrs and with the heat i lost it all tried to frag it but it didnt work. welcome to the hobby of sps. good luck and make sure you check your heat all day on a hot day all it takes is one hour.

Yea! I have had the same problem with my SPS corals, some of my frags are dieing back like you jenreef but some are doing good. My temp go's to 81 in the day and drops to 77 at night, could that be the problem?

81 isn't bad, but I try and stay below 80. I hit 85 one day this summer when a certain 10 year old left 8 75 watt spotlights on in my fish room.

i dipped the coral in revive for 10 mins as i heard if you leave it in for 10 mins it will kill off any red bugs it may have. after the dip my fiance threw the water out and he said he noticed red bugs at the top of the water and at the bottom. i asked him if he was sure it was red bugs and he said yes. right now the coral has been back in the tank and it is on the white side in color. it looks pale. i hope it gets better as time goes by

What color is the coral to begin with? Are you sure you are seeing coral skeleton or tissue changing color?

Alk of 8DKH is fine changing it when things are going wrong is not a good idea.

Personally I like my ALK @ 8DKH the higher it is the faster it drops should something go wrong.

Last edited:
What color is the coral to begin with? Are you sure you are seeing coral skeleton or tissue changing color?

Alk of 8DKH is fine changing it when things are going wrong is not a good idea.

Personally I like my ALK @ 8DKH the higher it is the faster it drops should something go wrong.

i got the coral about a month ago or two. and this coral from the beginning never had good polyp extension, if any. the color of the coral is a plum color. and yesterday i noticed the bottom of the coral it looked like something was eating it's tissue

so i was looking at pictures online. and all the corals i seen that were infested with red bugs had no viewable affect like the coral i have. than i came upon aefw. and i seen a picture of a coral infested in it. and it looked just like my coral. the bottom of the coral tissue is all eating up and white. that's exactly how my coral looks like. so now im starting to think it has/had aefw. hopefuly the dip will help the coral

im thinking maybe what my fiance seen was aefw not red bugs. but i heard the 10 min dip should get rid of red bugs and aefw. so we will see

Back