Need help ASAP.

lilrodyreefer

Non-member
My biopellets have been in the system for over a month now and most of the cyno is gone and my nitrates were getting lower. A day or two ago I noticed some cyno in the main display. I just got home from work and was checking the tank and sump as I do every morning and I noticed that my pellets looked like they were absorbing water. They have plumped up a bit. I'm new to bio pellets and I'm wondering if this is a bad thing. I am about to do some water tests to see where I'm at. Any help would be great!!!!

Well I got some decent feedback on reefcentral. Not so much here. Kinda surprised about that and a little discouraged at the same time. It seems that the melting pellets are due to to much flow through the reactor. I think I might just scrap the bio pellets and run gfo.

I had good luck with the pellets. As far as I know they are suppossed to swell up. They also dissolve over time. As i understand it they are suppossed to create a bacteria to remove nitrates.

That's what I've been hearing. It seems like a better nutrient export.

the bacteria eats the waste to a certain exent, and then your strong skimmer pulls out the junk. I ran this for while and didnt really think my tanks benifited.........................

do u have mostly sps?

No as of right now it's a mixed reef. I have been thinking of doing ethier a Lps and leather tank or a sps only tank. I have been struggling with problems sence last year when we had the hurricane. I think I'm going to scrap the pellets and run gfo. I have herd much better things about gfo.

well I think they have slightly different outcomes
gfo is soley for phosphates where the pellets are for nutrients, nitrates ect...................

I over did it with the pellets and vodka 5 or so years ago and this did poorly, but I had mostly lps and softies

I think the low nutrient tanks are for sps dominant tanks

what issues are u having with ur tank

My nitrates are alittle high like 20ppm my fish and corals love the dirty water but I'm battling that cyno and I can't get rid of it. I ordered some gfo and a 10lb bag of miracle mud for my fuge. My cheato isn't really growing and I've wanted to do the mud for quite some time now. It's on sale at marine depot so I jumped on it.

Back