Search results

1. K

Life is hard

Buried my mother in law tuesday. Married 35 years and she actually liked me! Went to basement today and got the sniff. Complete catastrophic overnight failure of everything in my 300g..fish for 15 years, 9 tangs, Achilles, purple, blue, tusks, dead. All sps. Dead. Ripped out 880 sf of...
  2. K

I am a meathead

I was winterizing the boat right next to the basement window, fogging the engine, which if you have done it, it creates lots of putrid exhaust. I had a window, right by the engine, open 2". It filled the fish area with exhaust, so much so that both the carbon monoxide and smoke detectors were...
  3. K

Best placement for a meteor shower

Looking for the best place for this coral in my 210 under 3x 400's...high medium or on the bed like a brain, high or low flow?
  4. K

aquanotes full version: worth it?

Does anyone have anything to say about aquanotes for an AC Jr, e.g is it worth the cost from the free Lite version to the full version?
  5. K

brown scuzz on monti caps?

what the heck is this stuff....established tank, one particular green cap frag, healthy, just this light brown scuzz acoss the top of it? any ideas...I just took a ph to it, but it held on pretty well...
  6. K

What's safe around a reef tank to make things smell better?

Just like the post says, if I have a closed door to my in-wall, what can I have to make things smell better, foo-foo like smell better, around my pool table? Does anyone allow smoking near their tanks?
  7. K

how much do Naso's need to eat?

I have a 3" naso tang in my fish only tank. He is skinny since I picked him up a few weeks back I feed him plenty of nori, flake and meaty stuff. Do these need more than other tangs?
  8. K

Is there a 12 step program?

for reef addicts? for spending too much on reef stuff? I'll start.... " Hi my name is Kyle and I have a reef addiction..." Now in chorus, "Hi Kyle"..... there. I feel better. Where's my wallet?...
  9. K

rio pumps are dangerous

So....I moved my powder brown tang to my 210 display and left my pair of clown in the 30 QT tonight. I just heard a rattle from my tank room as I surfed for a vacation on the puter. Tracked the sound to a rio 600 ph in the QT. pulled out the rattling ph and it's SPARKING. Talk about a...
  10. K

where to buy pickling lime

Does anyone know which chains of stores sells this?
  11. K

problems with STN or RTN this winter?

Just curious. Note if you have a newer or older home and any such problems. Just picked up an electronic ph meter and noted it was ~ 4 points lower than the AP tests after calibration. I have a basement set up with a vent free stove in a newer home. I'm thinking my problems have been...
  12. K

connection

I have had a couple of rtn episodes in the last few weeks. I have a basemnet tank, 500g total volume, the room where i have my tank is near the furnace room. I was wondering if there's a connection between those with basement tanks/sumps and increased oil burning/problems?
  13. K

why is monti cap turning color?

I have a large monti cap colony (orange and some other frags scattered about my tank. All my acros and softi look fine, good polyp extension, etc...my monti cap seems to be taking on this light bleaching like color, not white, just washed out.....all parms look good, 0's and 5ppm for trates...
  14. K

Can we have a thread on FLOW?

It would be great if we could have a sticky post or just a good thread on flow, specifically powerheads.....e.g the maxi's seo's, tunze, hydor, etc. I would love to know more on these and price points for each!
  15. K

Ich question

Just a thought regarding getting ich in a tank....if one takes corals or LR or used live sand, from someone with ich active/dormant in their tank, wouldn't you reason that it could then become active in your display tank? :confused: Reason I ask is that one of my tangs has spots on him...
  16. K

git yer Nori

Was I just slow on the uptake? I was buying 30g boxed Nori for my tangs at Petco. "10 packs" as they call it for around 8 bucks or more at a shot. I stopped in at my local Asian Market today, and got 125g, 50 paper sized sheets, for less than that. The Nori was much greener once introduced...
  17. K

how high do you keep your MH's

I am running 3x400 SE 10k MH's on my 210. Currently at 112" above water level and top of nearest sps is 6" below surface. Looking for optimal light placement from others that run similar (PFO) fixtures!
  18. K

Disaster avoided!

For the second time in recent months, my stupid skimmer and filter were dripping over on my 55 on my main floor. Last time the dripping took out my home theater reciever in the basement(directly below it) and nearly wiped out the big screen. I caught it in time this time. Now it's officially...
  19. K

stupid question

Where does one buy egg crate for a frag tank?
  20. K

drilling

I was wondering if anyone has ever attempte drilling an overflow in the vertical position of a tank w/o completely draining it; I have had luck empty, but I don't feeling like go through all the work of emptying just to do one hole!
Back