Search results

1. JBendel

Where do you buy Koi

Hello ... the pond will be warming up over the next couple of weeks, and am considering adding a few more koi. Anyone know of any places that focus on Koi? ... even a garden/nursery place? Thank you
  2. JBendel

Solid State Auto-Top off

I have used the standard relay based scheme (https://www.melevsreef.com/plumbing/auto_topoff.html) for auto-top off, and it works fine, but my sump has a lot of flow, so there was always a lot of "clicking" before the pump would shut off, and the relay would wear out every few years, so last...
  3. JBendel

Arduino 2 Part Doser / Vacation Plant Waterer

After 10+ years, my two part peristaltic doser pump died, so before buying an exact replacement, decided to see if I could make the equivalent from the cheap peristaltic pumps on Amazon. The results:
  4. JBendel

Sea Swirls - great support

Always like to give credit, where credit is due. My two 1" sea swirls gave up (within 2 weeks of each other) after > 10 years of service. I opened them up and the "linkage" had decayed to nothing. I emailed Aquarium Currents (maker of Sea Swirl) for some spare parts, and they responded...
  5. JBendel

Post Mortem

I wrote this on my pc for myself, but decided to post, if anyone wishes to wade through it, always interested in any opinions/insight. 180 gal Tank plus 20 gal fuge, 40 gal sump running about ~ 10 years. The Hurricane Irene power outage was a disaster, but over the last year I have been...
  6. JBendel

Water testing at April Meeting?

Hello, Will there be water testing at the April Meeting? Thank you, John
  7. JBendel

Any luck getting rid of Halimeda?

Halimeda looked good in the nano, but it's a pest in the 180. Has anyone found a critter that consumes this stuff? A couple of quotes from some web searches below, but nothing that seemed like a practical solution. I 'd consider setting up a fish only tank where LR with halimeda could be...
  8. JBendel

Overflow Cap for a Glass Cages Tank

Did the "Norm Abram Box Joint Jig" for an overflow cap. Was going to use a router with my dovetail jig, but I liked the narrow slots of sump/fuge posted a week or two ago. Not a lot of algae(yet) in my tank, so not too concerned with clogging
  9. JBendel

Sea Swirl - Aquarium Currents - Marine Depot

Just passing on a good word that I got great support from Marine Depot and Aquarium Current. I bought two sea swirls from Marine Depot earlier this year, and one stopped oscillating a week or so ago. I contacted Marine Depot, which put me in contact with Aquarium Currents ... I mailed the...
  10. JBendel

Are these Cleaner Shrimp Eggs?

... if not ... some snail eggs? All help appreciated
  11. JBendel

Ready to Apply the Weldon?

Any last minute suggestions? I 've got Weldon 3, and was planning on applying it in "one shot" on the inside seams. Once dry and proven water tight ... Baffles will be inserted and glued. Once dry ... is it worth untaping and applying a second Weldon pass on the outside seams? It's...
  12. JBendel

ID Please

Does Anyone know what this is? It's been growing in the Montipora for quite a while ... and generally growing to Scale. I assume it's some type of worm ... the shell is hard ... there is always a long filament coming out of it, which I give the turkey baster treatment, although I 've yet...
  13. JBendel

Beer to help Move a tank this Sunday (Sudbury/Framingham/Marlboro Area)

I am picking up a 180 tank on Sunday in Sharon at 9:00 AM, and should be back by 10:30 AM at the latest. I figure at least 4 people are required to move it, and I can offer a six of Sierra Nevada for the effort. It should be a quick move ... going down an outside set of stairs into the...
  14. JBendel

Refugium - Surge

This may not be the most complicated DIY, but I have 20 gallon over the tank fuge and was having circulation issues because the cheato and such have grown so large. Added one Right angle and 2" of straight PVC to the inside through hole and turned it into a Carlson Siphon surge. It's surging...
  15. JBendel

cleaning metal halide bulbs

While working on my lights last night I splashed some salt water on the bulb. I can't remember if glass cleaner is O.K. or one has to do anything more elaborate. Anyone remember? Thank you, J.B.
  16. JBendel

PH Meter Question ... do they work in freshwater?

This may belong in the Lounge Anyone know if the Pinpoint American PH Monitor's work in fresh water? The wife was going to borrow mine for a science experiment with some 4th graders and when I dipped the probe in some distilled water ... it registered 9.0 .... swirl the probe around and...
  17. JBendel

Tokyo/Seoul - LFS

Anyone ever checked out Local Aquarium Stores in Tokyo or Seoul? I 'm heading out there next week, and am going to try and track one down. I found a shop that does the Amano style freshwater tanks in Shinjuku, but have yet to find a local shop that offers salt water fish ... let alone corals.
  18. JBendel

Refugium Lighting

Other than the electric bill ... are there any down sides to running the lighting in the refug. 24/7? ... vs. out of phase with the main tank. The Refugium has mostly Caulerpa prolifera, snails,...supposedly there are some pods .... and a 5" sand bed. 20 gal. refug. ... two 24 WAtt...
  19. JBendel

Bi-directional Inline Pump

I am thinking of getting a DC Pump... hooking it to a bridge to change water flow direction for inline water circulation. My inputs for inline always clogs up, but cycling direction should keep them clear, and should give more water movement (I think). Has anyone done something similar, or...
  20. JBendel

Live Rock Drs.Foster Smith - Liveaquaria.com

Has anyone purchased the Live Rock from this group? ... and how was the quality? Regards, J.B.
Back