2013 Official BRS Growout

jason401

Non-member
2013 Official BRS Growout

Greg @ Underwater World has fragged up the winning ACAN colony for us :cool:

And yes it's the RED one....! As stated before, the members that were locked in the contest before the deadline must be present at the meeting to pick up your free ACAN contest coral.

The contestant with the most coral growth wins. Coral growth will be measured by the amount of heads grown!

The list below is who will be involved in the contest. This list will also be how the frags are divided. First person on the list gets first pick, ect

And here are the RULES:

- Post your setup, your tank maintenance and treatment of incoming corals
- Take a photo of the frag within two days of acquiring it.( regardless of treatment administered and condition of the tank no Photoshop)
- Continue to monitor you system with bi-weekly or monthly photos of the coral and status updates and changes made to your system.
- At the end of the allotted time frame we will judge the best grow out and declare a winner. Time frame will be 4 months which will be around the Oct 2013 meeting.
- Prize is $50 GC to the sponsor of your choice.
- Lastly have fun that is what this is all about... Keep the banter fun and playful

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the contestants

Members Enrolled;

MrX
s_kelley
Turbosnail
jason401
CaptainHook
Tone
higorc
Skeeter7424
Pat02026
Ron168
Chrissy
jselzler1
Dilligaf29
Gobywankenobie
Stitch87
Phinfan
Weyfirstreef
mrjantzen
joego2

Members to be ;

CoralJunkie
Marie
joelg

Ill start
5 tank system plumbed together total volume aprox 100 gallons
calcium 480 (API)
alk 7-8 dkh (API)
ph 8.6 (API)
mag 1450-1500 (red sea pro)
water change 10 gal every 2 months or so
tank frag is in is 22" x 22" 10" high
light flow just the return and a Korella nano
lighting on tank Kessil 150W 15000K ocean blue LED
reef octopus 110 skimmer

P1010003.jpg

Acclimated and dipped in coralrx then put outside the strong light area to see how it does. My systems about 200gallons 60 display, 150 g sump in the basement. Water changes when I have time. Nothing special. 400w radium halide, reef octo skimmer, cal reactor, gfo/carbon occasionally, haven't tested levels in forever, just keep salinity the same when I do water changes
0BE8C0B7-87AE-42E4-AF3C-E4059291B054-1636-000002502BC240E8.jpg

Here's my grow-out frag pic and details:

40-breeder (no sump or any other water volume at this point)
~25 gallon water change every 1.5-2 weeks (whenever I have time)
Salinity is @1.026
No idea on Cal/Alk/Mag as I haven't bought those kits since starting back up
Light is provided by a Reefbreeders Photon 24 position 6" above the tank. The LEDs ramp up from 0 to 40/35 and then back down.

Acan frag is on my new magnetic frag rack, about 8" below the water line. It's on the edge of the tank towards a corner, so not getting the full blast of light. In the opposite corner on the same side is a Cobalt 1200 pump, output is angled upwards so flow shouldn't be too strong.

Got the frag home and floated the bag for about 10 minutes. Then did a 5 minute dip in CoralRX, rinsed it, and onto the frag rack it went.

WP_002922.jpg

Are we allowed to remount these? Don't want to break any rules but don't like frag disks much

Are we allowed to remount these? Don't want to break any rules but don't like frag disks much

You just want to make sure it can be taken out when it is time for judging. We are judging on how many heads you have after the allotted time.

I dipped our frag in Revive, rinsed it and put it in the RSM250. It's located on the sand bed in a low flow, low light area on the left towards the front.
66 Gallon AIO with 6xT5HO
SG 1.025
PH 8.0
KH 9
CA 480
MAG 1500
Nitrate 10
Scrape all 4 sides and do a 15-20 gallon water change every week or 2 and change out sponges and filter floss as needed.
I have a media rack with Purigen and CPE in the sump.
I manually dose Bulk Reef Supply 2 part.
Here he is on Day 1:

Last edited:
Sat in the bag til 5pm. Floated in the 40g sump til 10pm.
Dropped straight into the 5g at 10:30pm no dips no acclimation and didn't use any water from the bag.

Looks like I got one of the smaller frags with just 2 heads and one baby head. Looks like some other people here already have like 4-5 heads which will make final results of growth a bit interesting as some people are already ahead of the game.

Tank: Ecoxotic EcoPico 5G with 3 LED Strip
Lighting: Stock 3 LED Strip @ 2White:1Blue ratio
Heater: Fluval E Series 50 Watt & a cheap Chinese preset backup 25W
Flow: Stock pump along with flow from a Tetra PF10 Filter
Filtration: Tetra Whisper PF10 running stock media (vigorously rinsed weekly with every WC, media replaced once per month)
Cooling: Mini desk fan mounted to light pointing downward controlled by RKL & also an Ice Probe chiller which sits in the Tetra PF10, RKL controlled.
Controller: Digital Aquatics Reef Keeper Lite
Temp: 77.7 degrees kept stable via heaters and chillers to exact params 24/7/365 with no more than .5 degree fluctuation daily.
Salinity: 1.025
Sand: Arag-Alive Fiji Pink
Rock: 10+ year old rock from fellow BRS member tank breakdown

Glass lid to tank does get used during the colder months. Also helps with evaporation. Oxygenation provided via filter so no worries on lack of surface aeration/agitation.

Livestock:
Tail Spot Blenny
Yasha Hase Goby
2 Candy Pistol Shrimp (Male & Female pair)
1 Medium Cleaner Shrimp
1 Cerith Snail
1 Nassarius Snail & a few smaller juvenile nassarius
24+ Tiny White Starfish
2-3 Small Bristle Starfish
Lots of various pods and many bristleworms

Corals:
Neon Green Nepthea
Orange/Teal Acan
Purple/Rainbow Acan
Yellow/Blue Ricordia
Teal Blastomussa with redish/pink skirt
Red w/ green spot mushroom

Maintenance:
Daily top off with RO/DI water (roughly 20 oz. evap. per day)
Weekly waterchange of 3/4 gallon (the other 1/4 gallon of the jug gets used toward top-off)
Weekly deep rinsing of filtration media by a sink hose on all sides of media
Weekly cleaning of tank glass both inside and out
Bi-Monthly replacement of stock media (Tetra carbon & filter pad) and deep cleaning of filter inside and out
(I put all the pods living in the filter directly back into the tank before cleaning, sucked up with a wide syringe as not to put junk water into tank)
I never, ever clean the rockwork nor the sand bed. Never have, and don't ever plan to.

Lighting Schedule:
Daily On @ 4pm and Off @ 11pm

Placement of the acan is on the bottom right of the tank where flow is what i'd consider low. Likely in a 125GPH area at most of indirect current. Low/Medium light area from the LEDs.
All photos will be taken from the same Samsung Galaxy S3 cellphone in Macro mode with all focus and all setting on Auto. One photo with flash off, one with flash on. Posted every 2 weeks.

Flash Off:
20130623_225009.jpg

Flash On:
20130623_225648.jpg

Last edited:
This is mine. So did I win?

Oh, wait... I only got a piece of it. Here's my frag.

Equipments:
20L quarantine tank
No sump
Tunze 9002 skimmer
No name 144 watt programmable LED programmed with 12 hours of blue from 10%-40% and 8 hours of white from 10%-30%
A ball of chaeto in a filter sock

Water parameters:
Salinity 1.024
Temperature 80%
I'll have to test the rest when I get home

Maintenance:
50% water change every 1-2 weeks

Picture was taken with 100% white and 100% blue.

My Frag

I dipped the frag in Seachem's Coral Dip, then rinsed in some water pulled from the tank.
It kind of disappears in the tank...
WP_000036.jpg
But when viewed a little closer...
WP_000034.jpg
My tank is a 46 gal. bow front. No sump.
I will have to update later with water specs as my son has my test kits and I haven't tested in a while, but I do know the temp is a bit high right now. The frag is currently sitting in the sand in a lower flow area, medium light. The hermits are already checking it out.
I will have to have my daughter take some pics with her expensive camera rather than these from my phone.

Good job guys, all posts must be in by tomorrow! If anyone is having problems getting your pics up, please pm me. I will either help you or post it for you!

Also there seems to be a flaw in my plan, as our frags are not all the same size. Please include the amount of mouths on the ACAN frag, verifying it with a pic. Thank you

29g bowfront ati bulbs x6
SG 1.025
PH 8.0
KH 9
CA 480
MAG 1500
Nitrate 0
i put it on my frag rack in the corner with the rest of my acans thar seem to be growing well

Attachments

• 134.JPG
    134.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 729
Floated and acclimated for 1 hour. Dipped in Revive for 5 mins. Biocube 14 frag tank with 50/50 lighting, bare bottom. One gallon water change every week. No supplemental dosing. No media rack or added filtration. Skimmer and nano powerhead. Two small fish and several lps frags. Looks like 2 large heads and 3 small babies.

acan1 6-24.jpgacan2 6-24.jpg

Alright, my turn...

My system is as follow;

Rimless 120G with 40G Sump/Fuge/Frag
2 AI Sol Blue w/ 4 T5 sup (2 ATI Coral+ and 2 Blue+)
Vertex IN-100 Skimmer
Dosing Kalk in my ATO

SG 1.025
PH 8.0
KH 9
CA 450
MAG 1350
Nitrate 10

I floated the bag in my sump for about 20 minutes, then aclimated it for another 30 min with my tank water. I placed it on the front left side of the DT in medium Flow+Light. It looks like I have 2.5 heads as of now.

Come on peeps! Get your tank specs and frag pic in! (Otherwise you have to pay Greg $10 for your frag ;) )

I know more than 7-8 of us picked up frags for the grow-out!

Here's my system,

75 gallon RR / 29 gallon sump/refugium

Lighting is gen1 radios, programmed moonlights to 20k to 10k to a purplish 20k look then to sunset/moonlights

Recently added a tunze 9006 skimmer, fuge is loaded with chaeto and grape callerpa.

Currently dosing. Seachem alk, calc, and mag. I will get params up this weekend and do it bi-weekly

10 gallon weekly water changes

Here's the frag in my tank. It currently has two heads.

332AC1B5-467E-4E54-9432-FF1B0091D855-1382-000001000132D52B_zps1d5f8d93.jpg

IMAG0040.jpgTook me forever to figure out how to post this pic. First time. Its in a 150g, 80 deg. running 3 120w Chinese leds. 14-460 blue, 8 royal blue 450, 8 super actinic 410, 17 8000k white and 8 300k white. no sumop. 1 marine land canister filter and a wet dry bio ball setup. reef octopus hob skimmer. I use coral sea pro water changes every 2-3 weeks 10-20%. feed cyclopese 2-3 times a week and reef chili twice a week. I will get my parameters asap. Now I just hope the pic will upload.

Back