2013 Official BRS Growout

I have fed mine some chopped squid and mysis so far. I am not a good acan grower at all, so I hope feeding it works!

I'm going out of town for a week so I scraped the glass, cleaned some algae and did a 10% water change. Everything looks happier but the red acan. He's the only acan that didn't puff up and extend his tentacles. Hopefully, everything will survive until I come back. My family is tanksitting - six tanks and two pages of instructions. What are the chances anyone will actually read them? :(

Everything looks happier but the red acan. He's the only acan that didn't puff up and extend his tentacles.

Don't feel bad Barb, my acan hasn't perked up either. Have yet to see any puffiness or feeder tentacles. I have a couple other acans that do puff up, so not sure what's going on.

Enjoy your time away! Hopefully you get back and everything is okey-dokey.

Mine don't really "Puff up" that much... But they seem to always be asking for food!

Higor's EVO 3D

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1372761585698.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372761585698.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 323
Thanks for the replies. I checked on it this morning, and it looks good, but not puffy. It was fuller before I cleaned the tank. I've obviously made it mad. I wonder if it just likes dirty water. :)

Last edited:
Mine has been nice and puffy in my pico and I keep that tank immaculate so I don't think it specifically wants a dirty or clean tank. Mine also always wants to feed, and catches plenty of food that floats by when I feed. Seems very happy. Has a vermitid (sp?) snail growing beside it I had to crush. Looks to be fine and happy still. I think it has most to do with what frags got cut where on the skeletons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I think it has most to do with what frags got cut where on the skeletons.

Hopefully mine heals and starts to grow soon.

I just noticed today an acan frag I got from a BRS member is finally taking off. There were 3 heads on a 3x3" rock (skeleton of 15-20 acans -- it got stung by something else before I got it and only 3 survived). Today I saw one bigger baby head next to the original 3 and a really small growth starting lower down on the rock; hoping it's another acan and not a pest or something.

All this new growth on the other acan gives me hope for the grow-out frag.

I've noticed heads grow easier out of skeleton where a head once was. Ice experienced this with both an acan of mine and a blastomussa.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Not much has changed except puffier. It looks like the partial heads are developing mouths though. Maybe soon I will have a couple more complete heads.

P1010012.JPG
Here is my 2 week update
water parameters have not changed
frag seems to be acclimating to the LED's fine
have not fed the tank yet with the frag in the tank I only feed once a month or so

Has it been two weeks already?
Haven't done a water change, remounted the frag onto a half shell. I like my acans to round off.
I feed mysis or cyclopese every couple days.
CF7A4C58-F2CE-4CF2-AA4B-9BEA1E76CCA0-2690-000002223D3FFFA2.jpg

My acan has finally puffed up a little. For the first time I saw it extend feeders and can confirm two heads as I thought earlier. Haven't seen anything from the partials on the frag.

I did a ~50% water change last weekend... usually do that every two weeks or so. Otherwise I just clean the hang-on skimmer and top-off with well water (no RO/DI filter, but we have a whole house filter).

Here's a couple pics I just snapped:

07052013-AcanGrowout-1.jpg

07052013-AcanGrowout-2.jpg

Wow mr.x that last pic looks nice n puffy. Wish mine would finally do that.

my pics look terrible compared to you guys
I got to make a glass box so I can get better pics from above maybe that will help , my camera isn't the best but I know it can do better

my pics look terrible compared to you guys
I got to make a glass box so I can get better pics from above maybe that will help , my camera isn't the best but I know it can do better

I'm just using an HTC Windows 7 cell phone, nothing special. The first pic was through (dirty) side glass where it sits in the sand. The second pic I lifted it up, turned it sideways, and took another pic through the same (dirty) side glass.

I wish I had a really nice camera to take some pics.

Also, meant to mention, I don't do any special feeding of my corals. They get whatever they get from the morning/night tank feeding (usually some flake and pellet, with alternating doses of Arcti-pods or Mysis).

I'll snap some shots of mine tomorrow as I was planning on taking them tonight, and spaced out and did a water change first, and the water isn't clear enough for my cellphone camera to take a nice clear photo right now and lights are out now anyways. Looks the same though. No new growth, no more or less puffy. Showing the teal/green/clear feeders very often though.

just did a 10 gallon water chanage did all my test everything the same also cleaned all the glass just took this pic when light came on no big change in growth yet cool teal feader tenticles tho
acans1.jpg

6x24w t5 ati bulbs 2b+,2c+2p+i run the 2b+and 1p+ for 12 hours and 2c+ and 1p+ for 10 hours

Back