2013 Official BRS Growout

View attachment 89431Took me forever to figure out how to post this pic. First time. Its in a 150g, 80 deg. running 3 120w Chinese leds. 14-460 blue, 8 royal blue 450, 8 super actinic 410, 17 8000k white and 8 300k white. no sumop. 1 marine land canister filter and a wet dry bio ball setup. reef octopus hob skimmer. I use coral sea pro water changes every 2-3 weeks 10-20%. feed cyclopese 2-3 times a week and reef chili twice a week. I will get my parameters asap. Now I just hope the pic will upload.

Oh man, those r nice Acans on the back there Joe! Seems like u won't have any issues growing these out... Hopefully I will be able to grow Acans this time. Good luck!

Higor's EVO 3D

P1010008.jpg2 heads on mine

Are we going by mouths or heads? I have 4 half heads and I can plainly see 3 mouths, not sure if there is a fourth...I'll try to check tonight when the feeders come out.

125g Display/90g fuge/100g stock tank/40g algae scrubber tank.
3x400w 14k/2 aquablue plus for dusk lighting/ reefkeeper moonlight module with 2 blue pods for moonlight.
temp-79.5
SG-1.025
PH-8.0
I have not checked the other parameters in a while. I will tonight and edit later.
I have the frag in the sand bed in the bottom right corner for now.
I dipped in Coral Rx for 5 minutes.
It has 2 heads.

Attachments

• IMG_1217.JPG
    IMG_1217.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 342
Mouths

My frag has 3 mouths. Here is another blurry pic that shows the 3. I definitely have to get my daughter's fancy camera out.

3-heads.jpg

Now the people are starting to roll on in. Maybe we should send one mass PM to every member (all 21 of them) who are on that list tonight to remind them to post a photo and specs and if not completed by tomorrow they are disqualified?
I'd also be fine agreeing they should already be disqualified after tonight. Today does mark 2 days so tomorrow should be out.

Either way I have mine and i'm very happy whether I win or lose, i'm honestly doing it mainly to learn because I want to grow my other acans out quicker so it'd be a good learning experience.

Mine has 2 full heads, 1 small head. So 3 heads total and 3 mouths. Has anyone else noticed flourescent green hues in the feeder tentacles? Every once and awhile I see a bright neon green speck here and there right before the feeders come out. Wondering if mine will morph to show more neon green with time. That'd be just dandy.

Last edited:
Jason, maybe you should post a link of this grow out thread in the Reef Talk forum. You guys kept mentioning this thread at the meeting and I kept saying I don't remember seeing the thread. I was only looking in the Reef Talk forum. Maybe others were only looking in the Reef Talk forum, too.

Here's my water parameter (never really checked the water parameter in my QT and some of the numbers are way off but corals are still alive):
Ammonia: 0 (Salifert)
Nitrite: 1 ppb (Hanna)
Nitrate: don't have my test kit right now
Alkalinity: 3.8 dkH (Hanna)
Phosphate: 0 ppb (Hanna)
Calcium: 573 (Hanna)
Magnesium: 1140 (Salifert)
PH: 8.1 (Hanna)
Salinity: 1.025 (Hanna)

I drip acclimate mine. Dip in Flatworm Exit for 1/2 hour followed by Betadine for 5 minutes.

I can't really tell how many heads or mouths that I have. Everybody else's seem to have distinct heads. Mine is all chopped up and squashed together. Looks like I have 2 almost complete heads and 2-3 partial heads without a mouth (do they count?).

I noticed mine has 1 neon yellow/green speck as well. I was getting nervous it might be something bad.

Now the people are starting to roll on in. Maybe we should send one mass PM to every member (all 21 of them) who are on that list tonight to remind them to post a photo and specs and if not completed by tomorrow they are disqualified?
I'd also be fine agreeing they should already be disqualified after tonight. Today does mark 2 days so tomorrow should be out.

Either way I have mine and i'm very happy whether I win or lose, i'm honestly doing it mainly to learn because I want to grow my other acans out quicker so it'd be a good learning experience.

Mine has 2 full heads, 1 small head. So 3 heads total and 3 mouths. Has anyone else noticed flourescent green hues in the feeder tentacles? Every once and awhile I see a bright neon green speck here and there right before the feeders come out. Wondering if mine will morph to show more neon green with time. That'd be just dandy.

Jason, maybe you should post a link of this grow out thread in the Reef Talk forum. You guys kept mentioning this thread at the meeting and I kept saying I don't remember seeing the thread. I was only looking in the Reef Talk forum. Maybe others were only looking in the Reef Talk forum, too.

Here's my water parameter (never really checked the water parameter in my QT and some of the numbers are way off but corals are still alive):
Ammonia: 0 (Salifert)
Nitrite: 1 ppb (Hanna)
Nitrate: don't have my test kit right now
Alkalinity: 3.8 dkH (Hanna)
Phosphate: 0 ppb (Hanna)
Calcium: 573 (Hanna)
Magnesium: 1140 (Salifert)
PH: 8.1 (Hanna)
Salinity: 1.025 (Hanna)

I drip acclimate mine. Dip in Flatworm Exit for 1/2 hour followed by Betadine for 5 minutes.

I can't really tell how many heads or mouths that I have. Everybody else's seem to have distinct heads. Mine is all chopped up and squashed together. Looks like I have 2 almost complete heads and 2-3 partial heads without a mouth (do they count?).

Sorry guys, I passed out last night.

Peter this sounds like a good idea, I will put a post up in the reef talk, and as stich stated I will get a pm out. I will also extend the deadline for one more day.

All heads and mouths should be counted at firsts. eventually when the acan heals it will be much more distinguishable.

"Oh btw Barb, u got one heck of a nice frag there! "

I know, it is nice, perfectly shaped, and you're the one who handed it to me. You should have kept it for yourself! lol

Best of luck to everyone who is participating in the growout. It will be interesting to see the progress of each piece. I know my corals grow very slowly so I'm hoping to learn from this experience.

I was able to tell today that there are 4 mouths on mine. I have 4 half heads with mouths and 2 little pieces of head with no mouths.
Pics showing all angles...

I also moved it over to the right side of the tank with less flow today.

Here is my photo will post tank info from ipaduploadfromtaptalk1372377323545.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

One system total volume around 800 gallons display tank 75 supported currently by an additional 9 tanks , uv, ozone, calc two large skimmers two phosban reactors two carbon reactors reefkeeper aquaria pure , RDSB, ATO display lighting two 125 watt single chip LEDs and 4 ATI dim able vho, also moonlight on reefkeeper, maybe 30 watts of led for night effects a couple of hours. Total sys flow no real idea but display has 4 large sicci power heads a mag 350 and the main circ pump Is about 1500 Gpm.

Water changes about 50 to 150 every 4 to 6 weeks no real schedule system light loading for volume but display tank has a good fish load maybe 18 fish or so.

Chemistry 1.025 nitrate not measurable, phosphate .02 creating to .08 before I change phosban usually 6 weeks or so. Ph 8.33 ish pretty steady temp 73 winter maybe upto 78 summer Alk 11, calc 450ish. Feed fish average, heavy cloud feeding of tank 3 times a week with various liquid foods. Feeding pattern does tend to support a little cyno even though chemistry would suggest it can not be supported. Not really issue big clean up crew Los of tiny stars to keep it in check.

Anything missing or questions always love to talk about it.

Last edited:
What have you guys been feeding them? The feeders finally came out on my frag, tried blasting it with cyclopeas

Ok back to the contest :.

Sweet! Good luck everyone.

To update my status, I changed around my rock-scape tonight. When I first moved everything from the 55g, so I could clean it, to the 40B I kinda just threw everything in, no real planning or reasoning. I've also been going bare-bottom with just two small Tupperware bowls of sand (1 housing my tube nem). Tonight I moved a bunch of the rock around, emptied one of the Tupperware bowls into the tank, and added a few more bowls of sand.

Not used to having a small tank... took me forever to move stuff around. Now the tank is a sand-storm mess! :)

During all this I moved my frag down onto the sand; it's now positioned in the middle of one of the long sides of the tank, about an inch from the glass.

What did I miss? What got removed? That's what I get for sleeping in today. lol

The back side of mine where it was cut is starting to heal. I have puffy tissue, but no full heads, and I don't think I see any mouths. Looks like a couple of heads were cut in the process. How do we count that? If they fill out to round heads it will be really nice.

Jason, I am not target feeding mine. It's a small tank so there is plenty of food when I feed the fish, and I already consider it "nutrient rich" :)

Mine are puffy, and feeders come out every night 15 minutes after lights out, but I don't feed at lights out, nor do I target feed my corals. In a 5g I just throw in some Ocean Nutrition Omnivore Flakes and a few of those free pellets we usually have at the meetings in the yellow tubes. All corals grab leftovers fairly well that way though my acan doesn't because it doesn't want to eat when the lights are on, though my others do so maybe it will learn to feed during daylight.

Back