2013 Official BRS Paly growout

jason401

Non-member
2013 Official BRS Paly Growout

A big THANK YOU to Archit from Love the Reef, for donating these awesome corals.

As stated before, the members that were locked in the contest before the deadline must have been present at the meeting to pick up your free contest coral.

The contestant with the most coral growth wins. Coral growth will be measured by the amount of heads grown!

And here are the RULES:

- Post your setup, your tank maintenance and treatment of incoming corals
- Take a photo of the frag within a week of acquiring it.( regardless of treatment administered and condition of the tank, no Photoshop)
- Continue to monitor you system with bi-weekly or monthly photos of the coral and status updates and changes made to your system.
- At the end of the allotted time frame we will judge the best grow out and declare a winner. Time frame will be 4 months which will be around the Feb 2014 meeting.
- Prize is $50 GC to the sponsor of your choice.
- Deadline will be set around our February meeting
- Lastly have fun that is what this is all about... Keep the banter fun and playful

Last edited:
34g solana tank. Weekly 5g water changes with reef crystals. GFO and GAC running in a reactor. CAD skimmer. Used Coral RX to treat any and every incoming coral. Picked up one head of this paly.

image_zps3cb0fa38.jpg

No treatment
110 display
Mixed reef
Placed on sand bed
Mp40s and radions

Maintenance is a 30 gallon change twice a month. Ca and alk via reactor. Vodka dosing.

Currently in the process of tearing down tank to rid aiptasia problem.

Anything else I need to post, let me know.

Thanks.

40g mixed reef with 20g sump
Weekly 5g waterchange with Seachem Salinity
Disease every other day with 2-part.
No treatment of incoming corals.
Temperature acclimation only on softies.
Medium flow, high lighting, placed in lower rock.

Any other info needed, lmk.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1383610097041.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383610097041.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 801
uploadfromtaptalk1383611058517.jpg

72 gallon bow with built in overflow. 20 gallon long for a sump. Usually feed about once a day. I feed mysis, home made goop, and brine. I use Kalk for top off, and manually dose calcium and alk. For flow I have 4 power heads, that alternate conning on for 90 seconds each pump, plus the return pipe flow. I run 2 reactors using GFO and Carbon. I Vodka dose 5 ml to keep nitrates in check. I have an in sump Octopus 1000 skimmer.

" 72 gallon bow mixed reef "
" 24 gallon SPS dominant "

My paly fell of its plug so I had too glue it too a new one! Its doing good though

All corals dipped via Bayer
20G nano, Aquatic Life four bulb t5 with ATI Bulbs, HOB Fuge, HOB AquaC Remora
About a 5G water change per week, Petco Ocean Water... 2 part..
2 koralia nanao 425's, and 1 koralia nano 240..
Placed at bottom of tank in medium flow

Gotta love iPhone pics!!!!

75 gallon mixed reef
29 gallon sump/macro/mangroves/skimmer
Radion led lights (gen 1)
Dose seachem alk/mag/calcium with topoff
5 gallon w/c with Red Sea coral pro twice a week.
Frags placed mid way up the tank in med/high flow
Feed BRS Fish goo twice a week, frozen mysis shrimp sparingly, and reef chili twice a week
Also, I dipped the pally in Bayer Advanced complete insect killer, then dipped it in MediCoral

BFD26D8B-5B77-4081-9E0B-8DEADBBE75E0-7325-00000804ED16DEE7_zpsa81e813b.jpg

Last edited:
Lol Jason I feel like you and I got 2 very different palys. Mine is pale like many of the other posts. So strange.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Lol Jason I feel like you and I got 2 very different palys. Mine is pale like many of the other posts. So strange.

No worries, they'll get their colors back :) -- they were fragged for only a week so I wouldn't be surprised if they're still a little stressed out. The palys that were towards the bottom of the colony / didn't get as much light were lighter in color than the ones that were getting plenty of light; so they should get their color back in time :)

Mine's in my shallow nano.
Have some intense light on it though (Kessil A350).
In a spot with decent flow. Dosing 2-part.

Looks great so far.
This is when it first wen in:
Screen Shot 2013-11-05 at 7.29.41 AM.png

And this morning:
Screen Shot 2013-11-05 at 7.35.15 AM.png

My is open and happy- :D

uploadfromtaptalk1383655073885.jpg

Treated with Coral RX before getting in the tank-
30% Monthly water changes
Specs on my tank are on my signature
Dose Kalkwasser in my ATO
I do not spot-feed any corals, but feed the tank 2-3 times a day

Higor
Sent from my Galaxy S4

Last edited:
No worries, they'll get their colors back :) -- they were fragged for only a week so I wouldn't be surprised if they're still a little stressed out. The palys that were towards the bottom of the colony / didn't get as much light were lighter in color than the ones that were getting plenty of light; so they should get their color back in time :)

Well now, that makes sense! Lol.

OK, I finally got around to taking a picture. Some day I will figure out how to take better pictures.
Growout -1.jpg
I have a 46 gal bowfront and the frag is sitting in the lower third of the tank under LED lighting.
I will have to update my water parameters later as I don't check them that often though I do weekly 10% water changes.

Ok guys and gals, reefers and pals :) 9 more people need to post their picture and info

Lets get them up!! Total of 19 people in the contest.

Last edited:
polyp1.jpg

O.K. Here's my frag: 1 big head and a small one on the side. Red Sea Max 65 gallon, led lights. Reef Crystals salt, occasional dosing with Kent products, no other equipment. 5 gallon wc every two weeks or so. Tank only has one fish so just a little food every night.

Last edited:
Oops, I posted in that other thread, so here goes in here.
I have a 60g shallow rimless tank w/a 150g trough sump. Reef octo skimmer, and koralina cal reactor, in the sump, there is a large section filled with cheato as well.
For flow in the display i have a mp40 at one end and a mp10 at the other. I run two 250w 20k radium halides, that are on a nine hour cycle.
Nothing fancy but it works. I put my frag in a medium flow, fairly low light area to see how it adjusts and i will move it into more light and see how it does.
I dipped all my frags in coral rx after acclimating them to the temp and salinity.
I change about 20G of water out of the system once a month or so. I get lazy sometimes!
Heres a pic, looks fairly healthy and happy so far.

Thanks Archit for donating the frags for the growout!

I took a couple of pics yesterday and will be posting them later today.

Back