2014 Official Boston Reef SPS Growout

Karma police !!!!
I'll post pics tomorrow, at least mine is still hanging in there, ...; quite an achievement considering my maintenance schedule.

75 gallon mixed reef
29 gallon sump/macro/mangroves/skimmer
Radion led lights (gen 1)
Dose seachem alk/mag/calcium with topoff
5 gallon w/c with Red Sea coral pro twice a week.
Frags placed mid way up the tank in med/high flow
Feed BRS Fish goo twice a week, frozen mysis shrimp sparingly, and reef chili twice a week

Also, I dipped the frag in Bayer Advanced complete insect killer, then dipped it in MediCoral

contest2014.jpg

contest2014-2.jpg

Nice dude! Never knew u had such a nice set up! And it's gonna get even better really soon!!! ;)

Let me know when u need he'll with the beast :D

Higor
Sent from my Galaxy S4

Last edited:
Looking at your guys tank makes me feel mine is a child's size tank

Nah nan, every tank is like art... a work in progress! :)

Each tank is just as beautiful as u want it to be. Every tank is awesome, no matter the size... I only wish my tank would look as beautiful as some smaller tanks here. I REALLY mean it! :cool:

Higor

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Sorry. Just got back from a business trip. My phone camera broke and I don't know how to use my SLR to take nice pictures. Here's a crappy picture. I had to zoom in to be able to read the ruler. I hope I took a picture of the correct growout frag since I bought a few frags from Greg at the meeting.
It is currently in a 30 gallon frag/QT tank with a 20 gallon sump.
I dipped it with flatworm exit, betadine, and coral rx.

Growout_1.png

totally slipped my mind. if it's not too late, here it goes:
75 tank, mixed, 2x100W LEDs, EV-120 skimmer, jebao 25 wavemaker + return pump that drives the skimmer through a T. 78F, not sure on the salinity - I use a swing arm thingy, 8-10DKF; ~500Ca, 8.2ph.

Jason correct me if I'm wrong, but 1/2 of the grow out people are gonna be disqualified for not posting and following the rules right?! :-(

I count 3-4 more days....

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Last edited:
here is a new pic of mine just did a 5 gal water change cleaned the glass my tank is 20g long with 4ati bulbs ,mp10 and korila 425 nano also a full tank shot of my little baby tank until the rimless is up and running =)

frag.jpg
fts.jpg

I'm sad to say I bleached my my frag for the growout.
2014-03-09%2018.12.13.jpg

The image above was right after dipping and quarantine and entry to my tank.

I went out of my way to keep it warm enough at the meet and happy. When I got it home I noticed a lot of algae growing on the plug. I did a dip with Coral RX and some hydrogen peroxide to remove the hair algae.

This is the first frag I've ever lost coming into my tank (out of 10-15). Figures it would be the one for a grow out.

I'm sad to say I bleached my my frag for the growout.
2014-03-09%2018.12.13.jpg

The image above was right after dipping and quarantine and entry to my tank.

I went out of my way to keep it warm enough at the meet and happy. When I got it home I noticed a lot of algae growing on the plug. I did a dip with Coral RX and some hydrogen peroxide to remove the hair algae.

This is the first frag I've ever lost coming into my tank (out of 10-15). Figures it would be the one for a grow out.

Oh man, sorry to hear that :( Is it completely dead? If it's got done flesh on it, it could still come back... good luck.

Higor

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Hi sorry for not responding sooner, just found the thread today... Guess I'm not fully fluent in forum talk.

But I am also regret to report that my frag bleached out within the first week. My water test from the meeting came showed Phsphate at 20. I do twice weekly wc of 1-2 gallons out of 14 gallons.

Ever have a softie grow out?

Good luck everyone
Ralph

Here is the coral on 3/16. Not sure why it was on its side. It is now completely white. But this is the season when we are awaiting a resurrection, so who knows?
Bleaching3-16-2014_zpse4f37119.jpg

Note the nice crop of majano's that appeared on the candy cane purchased at the Frag Famer's market. Eradication efforts underway. Hobby is never boring, is it?

Last edited:
Here is when I first placd the coral mid tank- it's behind the candy cane that is near the center of the photo.
AquariumMarch201040_zps256f63fb.jpg
Toadstool from Greg Hillerfully opened a little after this photo. My best acquisition at the Frag Farmer's market.

Almost forgot to post my pic :eek:

And here are the RULES:

- Post your setup, your tank maintenance and treatment of incoming corals

The frag is in a 65 gallon long tank with a 30 gallon sump and 15 gallon refugium. The lights are a 4 bulb Tek T5 fixture supplemented with two ReefBrite strips and filtration is with a SWC 150 Skimmer. Five gallon water changes are done weekly, sometimes bi-weekly :rolleyes:. After Qt'ing for about a week, treatment was done with a 6 hour interceptor dip along with a 30 minute FWE dip and a 7 minute iodine dip. An RPS All Out dip was given before placing the coral in the frag tank.

- Take a photo of the frag within 2 weeks of acquiring it.( regardless of treatment administered and condition of the tank, no Photoshop)

Growout Pic 03_23_2014.jpg

Sorry for the bad pic but it's the one in the front.

- Continue to monitor you system with bi-weekly or monthly photos of the coral and status updates and changes made to your system.
- At the end of the allotted time frame we will judge the best grow out and declare a winner. Time frame will be 6 months which will be around the Sept 2014 meeting.
- Prize is $50 GC to the sponsor of your choice.
- Lastly have fun that is what this is all about...

Here are a couple of mine:

And here is the other info I was supposed to post:

Frag is in my 125 long (29 gal sump, and 45 gal refugium). Tank is lit by (3) Evergrow D212/ReefBreeders Value Fixture. Filtration is an Eshopps S-150 cone skimmer and GAC in a BRS reactor. 10 gallon water changes are done 1-2 times per month. Calcium & Alk are dosed through BRS dosing pumps. Frag was dipped in Coral RX as soon as I brought it home.

Back