Giesemann Spectra questions

When you get the fan, go to HD and get some cheap grade 3/4" plywood and practice on cutting the opening for the fan before you take it to the canopy. Drill a hole to start and jigsaw the rest.

Also, I don't know if the new Spectra comes with the hook up ready but be aware that you might have to do some wiring on the fixture to get it to plug in with the ballasts. The ballasts will come with the wire that the fixture need to be wired to. It just whether if the folks at BRS or wherever you bought it from will do that for you or not. It's a not a difficult thing if you have some wiring experience.

Nice , which bulb combo are you going with ? I’m using 2 radium 250w on lux ballast hqi and ati blue plus and love the color it produces
528CF3E7-19A9-4F9A-A074-802B060DA120.jpeg

Also, I don't know if the new Spectra comes with the hook up ready but be aware that you might have to do some wiring on the fixture to get it to plug in with the ballasts. The ballasts will come with the wire that the fixture need to be wired to. It just whether if the folks at BRS or wherever you bought it from will do that for you or not. It's a not a difficult thing if you have some wiring experience.

I do a lot of soldering at work for air bag recalls so that should be pretty easy.

Can't wait to get rid of these radions.... I wonder if they would grow cheato in a fuge

Alright, I know it is a beautiful piece of art. That is what you paid for.

Why do I or anyone have to justify what we buy in this hobby? If someone can afford it, don't hate it. Don't need to act like children here.
It's not like he's buying a piece of junk. Ask anyone who has ran Geismann for their opinion and see if you get any negative view on it. It's very disappointing to see that coming from you Dong.

No different if I spent 3200 on 4 radion pros.... I like spending money on quality stuff

Why do I or anyone have to justify what we buy in this hobby? If someone can afford it, don't hate it. Don't need to act like children here.
It's not like he's buying a piece of junk. Ask anyone who has ran Geismann for their opinion and see if you get any negative view on it. It's very disappointing to see that coming from you Dong.
Lol
I am buying a Geismann t-5 unit for the beauty of it.

Have fun. It is a beautiful fixture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as spending money on this unit. As I stated before the advantages are all the bulbs and t5 ballast contained in 1 package. The mh reflectors in the unit are designed to spread as opposed to focus the light downward as it is in the larger pendant style ones. Not significantly, but enough to make a difference. I would not use on of those parallel style reflectors without T5 supplementation (personal preference. I'm sure one would not have any problems). The unit has t5 supplementation built in so its not a big deal either way. The importance for knowing this might be to effect aquascaping layout to take best advantage of the light available.

a quick reference on spectral light spread
parallel reflector
fig8-pfo-parallel-top.gif

pendant style ( I looked for the lumenmax elite as thats what I use)
lumenmax.jpg
These charts are not great side by side comparisons as they are taken from different studies using different depths, ballasts, and bulbs with the 1st using a 10k the 2nd a 14k, both by ushio. They do however give a good impression of spread distribution. Both reflectors will provide sufficient intensity.

For those interested, there are tests on various reflectors done in the mid 2000s (google sanjay joshi mh reflectors, and look for parallel reflector data)

What do you get for spending over a grand? A nice shell and three sockets and a t5 ballasts?

This is essentially correct. there is nothing wrong with that but its an accurate statement. Though we forgot about reflectors.

Ask anyone who has ran Geismann for their opinion and see if you get any negative view on it
I used a giesmann single MH unit over a smaller tank for a few years ( maybe 3) back in the mid 2000s over a 40b. The unit was fine mechanically, it did start to rust slightly on the hanging fixtures that came with it (the ones that slid into the channel lock on the top of the unit) and the allen screws that held the side panel and glass shield on. It never stopped working and I sold it in good working order.

No different if I spent 3200 on 4 radion pros

You spent roughly $1200 to$1300 thats a huge difference.
4 radion g4 pros are insufficient on a 180 considering spread. Unless one can mount them 2 feet or more above the tank.
Sanjay Joshi is up to 10 over his 7 foot tank.

Back