so it begins..QT tank..

Owen386

Non-member
Hey all

Just set up a QT tank was wondering if you guys could lead me in the right direction of what I need to set this thing up. And how to run and maintain. Currently set up and filled with saltwater, no light, 5 lbs LR from display, and a aquaclear 110 hob filter turned refugium empty now though,( no sand or macro) and no heater. Help/ advice please I'm a. Newb

-owen

first off, good call ;)

nice to see a reefer taking this sort of precaution...

small 15 to 20 gallon tank is all you need... a little rock for bio filtration... personally, i would use the sponge jus to catch detritus and rinse it everyday, being sure not to let anything build up in it, basically using it as a "filter sock"... definately gonna want a small heater as the small volume of water with the external hang on filter will not hold temp very well at all, and you want it stable, and controllable... I always like alot of flow in my QT's personally, as it helps make up for the lack of space, and keep the fishing moving, and oxygenated, as well as helping them use their muslces a bit, as they have most likely been in restricted conditions since they were pulled from the ocean... however you should QT captive bred fish as well...i always QT with some sort of shelter, a couple pcs of PVC are all you need for this... i always use copper based meds, as well as Prazi, or something along those lines... also if your gonna do hypo, be sure to get your salinity down to 1.010 for it work properly, however if your gonna attempt this, convert your salinity slowly over at least a few days, and do some reading up on it first, and get some others to advise you... myself, I usually jus exchange cup or two of QT saltwater, with RO water, and bring it down that way, but again, very slowly... dont use display water from water changes as your QT water change, as it may not be clean, and even if you took the necessary steps to have the cleanest display, its jus not a good idea...

be sure to feed well, as you wana build up their immune systems as well, it is wrong to not feed them properly and plentiful in QT imo, as some will say different due to water quality issues... I say this is where your husbandry and diligence come in, and you have to change a water every few days at least, i do a couple gallons everyday when i run a 15+ gallon QT for my fish, which will be going up again soon as i plan to add 2 more small fish to my display... you really wana make sure you feed your fish the best foods possible imo... and try to get some vitamans for your mysis, which i recommend vitaman enriched mysis, spectrum small pellets, Nori for herbivores, which can also be vitman enriched... be sure to QT your fish for the proper lengths of time, or its all for not... A few weeks minumum for QT of any fish... preferably 28 days...

Your doing a very smart thing imo... be patient, cautious and take preventive measures, it will save you alot of headache later on... and if your like me, a little heartache too... i get attached to my fish and corals with the time i put in...

Good Luck ;)

Always Better With Pics Right..... LOL

Attachments

• QT.JPG
    QT.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 140
not dissagreeing with pallobi as his directions are good , but if u do hypo and drop ur salinity to 10.10 before the animal is in the tank u should throw him rite in with no acclimation at all .just dropem in there ,the rock i wouldnt use in hypo either cus the inverts or bacteria on the rock is just gonna die (but if ur cycling it and not dropping salinity u are good )frequent water changes are a must like evrydayor evry other day .scrape the glass also (evrywhere )before awater change,and stuff the fish with as much as he will eat again like pallobi said with as much vitamins as possible,and with flow to make the fish active or constantly moving i could not agree more , again good call and actions mr owen 386

why do u have sand i would take that out,and make sure to rinse that sponge in that 110 ac when changing water

Although marine fish have an easier time adjusting to lower salinity water.I would still go a little slower than just dropping the fish in.
At least temperature acclimate it first.

the more osmotic shock the better , ive gotten paid to do this

and before u go doing hypo salinity ur temp and ph has to be just about the same, thats why i go in my display and take the fish out with as much water as he gonna need ,so unless ur taking 40 mins tranfering the fish or dont have ur ph and temp the same ull be good

I drop the salinity after the animal to be treated/qt'd is in there... before its dropped, it is at 1.019... i beleive the hypo should be 1.009 actually...

well truly we all have are individuall methods ,what works for u ,probly wont work for me .but in this case i have found that dropping salinity in a fast manner is more affective and has no harm to the fish ( if done properly ).and i believe the faster the animal is in low salinity water the less he has to work to breath (proven) example hypo is healing a fish threw osmotic shock ,witch causes the cryptocaryon irritants to fall of ,the faster the shock the harder it is on the parasites causing some what of a relief towards the animal instantly(fresh water dips supoosedly purpose).thats why i say to doit with no acclimation because in reality there is no side affect or a need to acclimate.(proven)and the more crucial the osmotic shock is

why do u have sand i would take that out,and make sure to rinse that sponge in that 110 ac when changing water

That is Salt Since There is no Live Stock I decided Just to mix the salt right in the tank with the Ro water was all mixed in this morning and will be testing for salinity when I get home From Work.

I read somewhere to make sure your PH and Temp is the same as your display but keep your salinity low and dump the Fish right in with only temperature acclimating and then over the next couple weeks monitor fishes health etc... and then when your about two weeks away from putting in display if the fish looks fine and so fourth you slowly bring the salinity up over that two weeks to match the salinity in DT

Thanks for all the input Guys Mush Appreciated!!!

-Owen

P.S wow having pics really blew this forum up LOL

Is this a qt for new fish coming in or for ich? I've gotten lost in the discussions, but I don't remember Owen386 saying his fish were sick. I use my dt water to qt new fish so that the conditions are as close to possible to what it will be eventually living in. I also drip acclimate my new fish, not just dump them in once the temperature is correct. The toughest thing with qt tanks is the ammonia. Try to test it everyday and be prepared for daily water changes. It's a good idea to have some Amquel or Prime on hand.

I am getting new fish this weekend no ich yet.... I was under the impression u needed a QT cycled and set up running all the time. But after reading researching and posts here it seems like u only set it up when you need it, and if you keep it running it takes alot of maintenance,water changes etc... why is ammonia going to be a problem if it has completed its cycle? What's the deal? Thanks guys!

- Owen

I am getting new fish this weekend no ich yet.... I was under the impression u needed a QT cycled and set up running all the time. But after reading researching and posts here it seems like u only set it up when you need it, and if you keep it running it takes alot of maintenance,water changes etc... why is ammonia going to be a problem if it has completed its cycle? What's the deal? Thanks guys!

- Owen

some people QT all new stock some don't its just a matter of how much risk your willing to take. The maintenance is really minor not that big of deal.
my opinion is if you have the room why not, you will never have to worry about introducing disease or pests into your main display

I set up my qt using dt water just before I buy a new fish. I keep an extra sponge or two in my sump to use as a biological filter, but without the live rock and sand, the sponge alone is not enough. In a small tank, the ammonia from fish waste and decaying food can build up fast so I watch it carefully and do small water changes often. Everyone has their own method. I'm not sure how long you've had your qt set up, but if you did it yesterday, and your tank is fresh saltwater with just that one rock, I wouldn't put any fish in it this weekend. Either cycle it for a month or two using the usual cycle methods or use the cycled water from your dt.

Back