2013 Official BRS Growout

I'm happy to say mine is still alive, but I don't think it's grown much. The color isn't as red as it was either, more of a brown/orange than red.

I have about four new heads on the opposite side, can't see in this pic but colors nice n red still
1DE8FD60-7F39-49BB-8503-DD7DC8501878-1099-000000A1166F857E_zpsff15bba9.jpg

Mine was still fluffy, not sure if it had any new heads, nothing obvious that I could see anyways.

Sadly as I'm getting out again I'm out of the grow-out contest.

Good luck everyone else.

Not anymore now that you said it out loud Shane! Lol. Mine still has zero new heads. But to be fair, my pico tank gets pretty neglected because everything in there runs itself except my daily feeding of pellets which never reaches any corals. Plus my pH runs at like 7.4 in there with a roughly 6.5dkh so I'm sure though lousy parameters don't help. How anything is live in there, nevermind corals and pistols shrimps, is beyond me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:
Top down shot you can sort of see the heads on the back. I don't try not to put my hands in the tank too much. Otherwise I would just turn it around. I will when the time comes to show the heads for the contest.

I'm about ready to either call out of the contest or move the frag over to my 40g (which I think would kick me out of the contest). My frag looks exactly how it did on day 1. Lol.

I was thinking the same until I recently looked at it. Got a few new mouths at the bottom

Here's a new mouth, the other side has some more as well. I will turn it next time I go in the tank.

6A9BD533-CD9A-419E-BF60-C84626A5BF1B-1442-0000010EC67CF6D8_zpsb35d7883.jpg

Last edited:
sorry I have not updated in a while
my frag is doing well got a couple of new heads starting
just did some testing cal-440 alk-9 ph-? phos-.02
added a dual reactor now running small quantity GFO 1/2 recommended amount by brs
brought the phosphates down from.09 in 2 weeks with a couple of water changes tossed in

P1010001a.jpg

For my own personal experiment, once this contest ends, I'm putting my frag into my 40g for the same length of time and seeing if it grows in there to compare the two environments. Though strange how my other acans grow well in the 5g. Makes me think it wasn't species related but rather maybe color of the coral or strain of the coral not getting something that it wanted which the others didn't. Very interesting in my opinion and I can't wait to try and figure it out.

Took these pics yesterday you can see the new heads, I will put my hand in and spin it when needed for the contest but am a firm believer in not putting my hands in when I dont have to.

anyone have an idea of how many are still in
just wondering it seems the posting is slowing dowm

What happens if I'm not going to the meeting? Do I have to find someone to bring it there for me? I don't think mine has grown at all.

Back