2014/15 Official BRS Chalice Growout

My frag seems to have about 7-8 orange spots on it. A little hard to tell since is lost its color due to too lights being leftvon for a couple days. Seems to be doing a full revert. Lol very unlucky frag.

Post #22 with new eye totals has been updated :)

Anthony (jamesdong009) you posted a new picture but not a new total of eyes.

Chris (cilyjr) You too, posted pics but no # of eye's. Please update :)

DBleite, Dave, passed away on Dec 17th of lung cancer. His tank is alive and well,(so far), but I don't know what a chalice is. Thank you for including him. My 2 older kids and I are working on learning what we need to, so that we can keep Dave's tank going in his memory.

We lost a great man and a good friend. Please dont hesitate to contact me if you need anything..

Here's some pics of our frags... mine and KidsX.

MrX: (pics 1 and 2) Now up to 9-10 eyes... can't tell if the spot in the middle is new growth or the opposite (I hope not!)
KidsX: (pics 3 on the right) Now has 4-5 eyes... really hard to get a good pic of this weirdly shaped frag

Growout_MrX_011315-1.jpg

Growout_MrX_011315-2.jpg

Growout_BothXs_011315.jpg

Mine is doing pretty well. I decided to move it from the rack to the sand bed since it started to spread out onto the plug. Hopefully I'll have pictures up tomorrow.

Here's a pic it's growing but hard to see the eyes I'll pull it out to photograph next time

20141223_155748_zps90t6yudj.jpg

First got it here
20141116_190233_zpsvl2vzcus.jpg

I almost forgot to post this month, I have 10 eyes but the angle of the frag makes it hard will figure out a better way to take next months picture.Janfrag.jpg

System Setup
- 75G DT, 38G Sump
- 2x Chinese LED ( I swapped some colors)
- Jebao WP-25 in Else mode
- RO 1000sss
- JBJ ATO for top-off
- Using Reef Crystals for salt

I change 20 gallons of water once a month.

Tank is fed every other day

Coral was dipped in Coral Rx for 5 minutes.

I could not get good white pics, but boy did both eyes pop under blue LEDs!

I'll stay in the contest as long as it stays alive, only my second chalice and the first one did not go very well.

IMG_20141119_225936.jpg

Well, It has been a long battle! After the chalice receded drastically (was down to barely one eye) I took the frag out of my display and set up a 29G frag tank. The chalice has rebounded nicely to 6 Eyes!

New info is as follows:

29G tank
seaclone 100 skimmer
Magnum HOT 250
Current orbit 24" LED
30" dual T5 light both running actinic bulbs
a couple of koralias for flow
20%water change every 2-3 weeks

IMG_20150207_175855687_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
My frag has 80% RTN"d... I have about 20% of the flesh left on one side with 2-3 eyes I can still see. I'll probably be completely out in the next week or two.

KidsX frag isn't doing a whole lot better.

Mine has colored up a but but still looks like the same eye count, ill take a pic soon

mine has gone down hill fast in last 24 hours half of it is gone all white =( everything else in tank is happy and fine

Alk spike?

Not sure ... my tank routine/water change regimen hasn't changed at all. 10-15 gallons per week, clean the pumps/skimmer/etc.

Something must have gone out of whack and bothered this coral and a teal green candy cane (3-4 heads RTN'd, others are fine so far). Everything else is the tank appears to be doing just fine.

Guess I could/should do some tests and see; but I've been enjoying NOT testing and sticking to the routine water changes. (a.k.a., slacking)

Mine did the stn thing over a month ago, but I still have it. It's actually trying to spread over the injured area now. Maybe yours will come back too.

Back