Search results

1. S

Overflow Question

I've got a basic overflow question I hope I can get some help with. Can I use a tank with a factory installed overflow and keep the water level at about 50% while still being able to use the overflow? I'm thinking I can but looking for some reassurance. Also, I understand this isn't common...
  2. S

Need Help With Light

Well I just got back from a week in PA to find that besides my halides being off the whole time ( I left the tank in an idiots care ) the actual switch for the halides is broken. I have taken the end panel off my light and pushed the switch out. It looks like half the switch melted. I myself...
  3. S

Great Success

I've been wanting to get a BTA for my maroon clown pair for a while now and finally got one today. I got a really good deal at the LFS I usually go to, it's about the size of a silver dollar and has nice bubble tips on it. The best news is that within 10 seconds of my hand being out of the...
  4. S

Rumford Pet Center

It's about time I commented on Rumford Pet Center. I've been going there for some time now and have had nothing but good experiences with them. Everyone in the fish room has a good to excellent idea of what they're talking about and many of them are reefkeepers themselves. I've dealt mostly...
  5. S

Unofficial Cookout Poll

I am hoping to bring my daughter(20 months old) to the cookout and am just wondering who else is thinking of bringing kids and what ages they are. If this is in the wrong forum can a mod please move it for me.
  6. S

Rhizo Question

I am hoping to get some information on Rhizo Typus. I love the look of this coral but know nothing about it. I would hate to spend so much money and kill something so beautiful. Any information about it's care would be greatly appreciated.
  7. S

Advice On Sand Mistake

I am an absolute idiot. I thought the sand I was about to put in my sump was rinsed enough. It wasn't, and now the water in my tank is completely white. I started running carbon right away but I am wondering if I should expect any losses due to my stupidity. Is there anything else I...
  8. S

Really Need Help/Answers

Ok I'm freaking out and don't know if I should be. I was switching from my old sump to a new one tonight and had to temporarily disconnect the drain hose from the bulkhead. When I reattached it I made sure to twist it on back and forth so as not to over tighten the bulkhead but I guess I made...
  9. S

I hate my electrician

Well I just got home from Florida and got a very unpleasant tank surprise. One of my best friends and fellow members was watching my tank for me and did a great job but my electrician wanted both he and I to fail. The day after I left one of my friends came to my house for me to supervise the...
  10. S

Anenome Question

I have a Condi anenome on a piece of rock that I want to chisel smaller. The anenome is in a hole so I can't remove it, I may be able to get it to move if I direct a powerhead into the hole temporarily but I'm not sure. My question is this; can I remove the rock with the anenome on it to do...
  11. S

Hydor Koralia Question

I've only had my koralia powerhead for about 3 months and it just burned out today. As far as I can tell it's cooked. Nothing is jamming the propeller and when I took it out of the water to inspect it it made no motor sound and gave me a mild shock. Anyone else experience such a short life...
  12. S

Overflow Flucuation

Occassionally the water in my overflow rises and falls about an inch or so. It happens in a very steady way much like the coming and going of the tide. Usually it only happens when my sump has gotten low and the return pump is close to the surface. I should also mention that my overflow has a...
  13. S

Which Sump?

About to hook up a sump to my 65 gallon tank and am debating between two sumps. I am either going to use a standard 20 gallon AGA tank or a 20 gallon long AGA tank. Would the 20 long be too short for a sump? I would rather use that so I have more space for a refugium inside of it but am...
  14. S

Too Much Pump?

I keep hearing differing opinions on pumps and just want some more opinions before I hook it up. I have a 65 gallon AGA tank with the mageflow kit installed and a 780/gph QuietOne pump. Here's my concern, I keep hearing that the megaflow is rated for around 600/gph or somewhere near that...
  15. S

Marco Rock Curing ???

Thinking about getting a bunch of Marco rock and later some live rock. How long does everyone think I need to cure it? Most likely going to cure it in my display tank before anything other than sand goes in and just skim/water change heavily. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks Spooky
  16. S

Tank Integrity

I know everyone says there are no stupid questions but I feel this one at least borders on it. Do I really need the plasic center brace on my AGA 65 gallon tank? It doesn't seem to be very strong and it's directly under my metal halide, effectively blocking a good deal of light from my tank...
  17. S

Truly Reef Safe?

Looking for some opinions on a particular fish. I've done some reading already but would like some further thoughts. I really want a longnose hawkfish but have heard mixed things regarding it's invert compatibility. In everyone's experience will it harm cleaner shrimp? Snails? Small hermits...
  18. S

New Tank

Just want to share my excitement with everyone here. Got my new AGA 65 gallon w/megaflow and matching stand. :D Finished painting the back black last night, looks good so far. One question, I ordered a 780/gph pump for the return in my sump (20 gallons). What does everyone think of that? I...
  19. S

Coral Question

I am setting up my reef tank very soon, hopefully this friday. I will be using all live sand and water from established tanks. How long should I wait before introducing corals? To those of you I am buying coral from fear not they are not doomed to die. All the corals I am buying at the...
  20. S

Skimmer Question

I'm looking into buying an ASM G2 skimmer. Anyone have any experience with these. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks Spooky
Back